MUSIC THROUGH VOICE HELP PLEASE

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4651 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

So recently I have been encountering lots of people who can play music through the VOIP. I was hoping someone could tell me how to do this! Cuz its awesome :D I think it has something to do with changing input and output settings. Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Zach

When used sparingly, of course?

One way is to add a mixer to your computer setup along wth an external music player (iPod, laptop, tape recorder).  Then all you have to do is pipe in the music signal to the mixer, add a mic to the xlr input on the mixer for voice and then patch the stereo signal in to the line-in to the primary computer's sound card.  Then configure SL to use that signal for SL voice.

Alternately, lock the voice key to open and hold your iPod up to the microphone, which might be how they're doing it.

I'm sure there's other methods but I like this for more control over signal quality and levels.  Plus you can go right into DJing or karaoke as well.

Zach Misupor wrote:

So recently I have been encountering lots of people who can play music through the VOIP. I was hoping someone could tell me how to do this! Cuz its awesome
:D
I think it has something to do with changing input and output settings. Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Zach

beware of irritating people though.

some don't want to hear your choice of music blasting out over voice.

Venus Petrov wrote:

Dogboat Taurog wrote:

beware of irritating people though.

some don't want to hear your choice of music blasting out over voice.

...especially in a club.

especially pretty much anywhere i'd say.

if you want to play your own music rent land and a stream and use winamp or similar.

there are few things so irritating as somebody playing music over voice on someone elses land. voice is for talking btw, thats why its called voice.

also, muting a person using voice appears to have no effect. so all one can do is send an abuse report and hope the gods in lindenland do something.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm never in-world anymore but I can point you in the right direction.

Keep in mind I said it was one way to do it, not necessarily the easiest or cheapest . but it's how I do it and probably how most SL DJs do it as well.

Try YouTube, say

link and related videos.  In short, what you're doing is branching out what signal goes into your computer's mic or line in jack by using a mixer.  You can find small mixers online for around $40-100 and used mixers at your local music store for much less and still quite serviceable.  Most of the mixers in those videos are large and complicated-looking but once you understand how a little one works the big ones are pretty much the same thing.

You can add whatever input signal you want to the mixer, say an iPod, cd/tape deck, laptop, etc.  Then use a Y-cable to run a line from the 1/4" output jacks on the mixer into a 1/8" stereo jack into your line in or mic on your computer.  Once you see how it's all connected it's very simple.

You can also skip the Y-cables and all that by getting a USB mixer and just attaching that directly to your computer.  Of course I'm an old fart and I don't trust all this fancy technical hocus pocus you kids have these days.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4651 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.