I understand the basics...but I suck :\

Hanahhh

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4680 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

So I know how to use the maps..i know what to do...i know how to make wrinkles and whatever...but it still looks noobish when I finally put it on my avatar.... -_- it looks great on GIMP ...then its on my avatar and looks like blah.

Are there any classes on SL that dont go through all the basics but actually teach how to make quality clothing? or any people that can give me advice. 

*sigh*

Heya Hanahhh, 

Send a notecard with your name in it and a tut request to me in-world to make sure I wont forget you and expect a detailed tutorial coming your way in a while. :) I will drop you an IM when the tut is on the interwebz.

Not sure when though, working on preparations for a new business I'm about to start. And it will come with a blog as well where I cover lots of SL-related Photoshop things such as photography and texture cloth, etc.

Just drop me a note! :D 

As for now, when making cloth there are 2 things you need to focus on: 1) It must look realistic. 2) The design itself, must be good.

To get a bit further into details; what exactly is realistic cloth? Well, 1) it must be shaded nicely to prevent the flat look (light and shadows) 2) realistic details such as wrinkles (leave a reply if you need help with this and I will post a step by step here in this topic) but also seams, highlights on, for example, metal pieces such as buttons, etc. The material you are trying to create, must look realistic as well. For example, you dont want to use a carpet for a leather jacket, etc - duh! :D And other things, depening on the complexity on your work.

How to create a nice design? You could get inspired by using real life sources, which can be fun, but a bit boring imo because everytime you do this, your work process will be the same. Another option would be creating an own color palate (google for a color weel, read some articles on wiki about color theory) and you could download pre-made brushes, vectors, etc or make it yourself. When it comes to illustrations I would suggest you go for premade stuff - do credit when needed! - unless you have some awesome drawing skills.

And compare. Just compare your work with top notch designers. Lay your work next to them, litterly. Snapshot something in-world, import it into Photoshop and lay your work right next to it. What's the difference?

Oh and another thing that is very important, though I havent tested this recently, find out what SL is doing with your textures whenever you upload them. For example, something on overlay, in Photoshop, on 40% transparancy and 50% transparancy doesn't look the same. In SL however, it will, I think. Keep this in mind.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4680 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.