Fire: Particles vs Animated texture

Uallas Borgin

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4648 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I currently have a hall with a line of torches on both sides. The flames are particle effects. I have made some campfires using animated textures. I am wondering if it is worth the effort to make a torch with animated texture fire and replace the existing torches, will there be a difference in lag?

both are one time transfers of information to the viewer, however particles actually win out in the lag sense because they can be turned off on the viewer side. the only drawback is that if it take a great number of onscreen particles to do your effect, they may end up fighting with other particle sources for screen time. they also come in a little lower on overhead requirements and can be turned off by script.

neither should have much effect on the region at all.

All things being equal, I'm inclined to use animated textures rather than particles when I can, because, as Void says, particles can interfere with other particle systems, depending on how many particles people's viewers are set to show, so I try to reserve the visible particles for when when I know I need them.  

In a dungeon, for example, I'd tend to use textures for my torches because I know it will be furnished with items that use Lockmeister or Lockguard chains, so I'd rather save the particles for those.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4648 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.