Item rezzed in world just vanished

Branesergen

Question

Had 2 breedables rezzed at a marketstall around the same time, was there about 20-30 minutes working around it, left and came back a few hours later and they were both gone.  Nothing in my inventory, cleared cache and reloaded inventory and nothing. Area searched the sim, went to the corners, 0,0,0, there is no sign of it. Had it listed on a breedables website and its been removed there. Nothing in transaction history.

How can an item just disappear inworld and how can we find it? Have the UUID and searched everywhere. Can objects actually be "stolen" in world??

2 answers to this question

Possibilities for objects to vanish without a trace:

1. While you were gone, region state rolled back to a time before your items were rezzed. Then they're gone. This should only happen when the region owner requests it, so maybe ask them.
  2. The items deleted themselves by calling the llDie() script function. Some commercial creations, especially no-copy stuff like breedables, are programmed to verify that they're legit and delete themselves if they "decide" they're not. This process must be utterly reliable, which is essentially impossible in SL. Might check with the breedable creator to see if they'll admit to using such logic.
  3. The items deleted themselves with a different kind of bug, in one of several ways: They could set themselves PRIM_TEMP_ON_REZ. Or STATUS_DIE_AT_EDGE or STATUS_DIE_AT_NO_ENTRY and stumble their way off the grid.
  4. Theoretically, there could be a bug in the region code. This bug, though, would have to be incredibly rare or it would be very apparent.

If I were a betting man, my money would be on #2, but mostly because of this "breedables website" listing: How does that work such that an item could be automatically unlisted when it vanishes? I've always avoided breedables so I don't know how this works; do you? or is it possible to find out? Whenever items contact a central server for any reason, ever, I'd suspect something awful until proven innocent. This isn't to suggest contact with the listing website itself caused the problem (assuming it's not run by the items' creator) and they might be worth contacting to see if they've heard of something similar.

[ETA: I never rely on a viewer's "area search" function for anything critical. The Build / Pathfinding / Region Objects window gets more directly at the simulation's own idea of everything on the region. But it usually doesn't matter.]

Edited by Qie Niangao
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Qie Niangao said:

Possibilities for objects to vanish without a trace:

1. While you were gone, region state rolled back to a time before your items were rezzed. Then they're gone. This should only happen when the region owner requests it, so maybe ask them.
  2. The items deleted themselves by calling the llDie() script function. Some commercial creations, especially no-copy stuff like breedables, are programmed to verify that they're legit and delete themselves if they "decide" they're not. This process must be utterly reliable, which is essentially impossible in SL. Might check with the breedable creator to see if they'll admit to using such logic.
  3. The items deleted themselves with a different kind of bug, in one of several ways: They could set themselves PRIM_TEMP_ON_REZ. Or STATUS_DIE_AT_EDGE or STATUS_DIE_AT_NO_ENTRY and stumble their way off the grid.
  4. Theoretically, there could be a bug in the region code. This bug, though, would have to be incredibly rare or it would be very apparent.

If I were a betting man, my money would be on #2, but mostly because of this "breedables website" listing: How does that work such that an item could be automatically unlisted when it vanishes? I've always avoided breedables so I don't know how this works; do you? or is it possible to find out? Whenever items contact a central server for any reason, ever, I'd suspect something awful until proven innocent. This isn't to suggest contact with the listing website itself caused the problem (assuming it's not run by the items' creator) and they might be worth contacting to see if they've heard of something similar.

[ETA: I never rely on a viewer's "area search" function for anything critical. The Build / Pathfinding / Region Objects window gets more directly at the simulation's own idea of everything on the region. But it usually doesn't matter.]

I appreciate the detailed response!

It appears there was at least 1 other who lost items as well who was there at the same time as us and after some discussion we are guessing a rollback. Have reached out to the sim owner and waiting to hear back. Also a ticket has been opened with the creator to get it back. They are pretty good about that so not all is lost. Just banging our heads on the wall trying to figure out what happened.

I used to always use the pathfinding before my 2 year break but now it seems to locate nothing for me, not even my own sim or items lol I'll have to play around with it some more to see if I can get it figured out.

Thank you.

• Like 2