Any way to add folders to a box for storage?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 213 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Older posts say, "no" but thought I'd ask... I have a folder with 1400 items pre 2010... I don't necessarily want to put them all in the same box, but that folder has 20 or 30 subfolders (with subfolders) and it'd get pretty tedious to drop the contents of each folder into a box... I'll do it if there's no other way... but thought I'd ask before embarking on such a project (2024 is The Year I Fix My Inventory... hopefully....)

• Like 1

No. Prim box Contents tabs act AS folders. You can add prims and other items inside prims. But actual folders that you have in your Inventory you can't, they aren't physical "things", they only exist in the inventory.

Oddly, you can store other non-rezzable things like textures, sounds, scripts, notecards, legacy hairbases, shoebases, eyes and clothing layers in a prim Contents tab. Which is weird.

Each prim has a Contents tab which can take up to 256 items. So theoretically, you could store 256 prim cubes inside one prim cube and each of those stored 256 prim cubes could also store another 256 prim cubes inside themselves too! And so on and so on...

It's very advisable to write and keep notecards of what you've put into certain prim's contents too, so you can keep track of what's being stored and where.

1400 items can be stored inside 6 prims with space to spare. Then you could store those 6 prims inside one more prim. And that one prim will have all your 1400 items. Guard it well!!!

Edited by SarahKB7 Koskinen
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, Kira Skydancer said:

it'd get pretty tedious to drop the contents of each folder into a box...

There is a way of speeding that up.

Open a folder of stuff. Left-click the top item in the folder's list of stuff, then it should become highlighted. Then find the last item at the bottom of the folder list and then hold SHIFT + left-click that bottom item.

All the items in that folder should now become highlighted and will act as one group of items. You can drag that entire group of highlighted items from out of the folder into a prim contents tab, or another inventory folder if you prefer.  It's easier to have the prim content tab window open beforehand before dragging the group. To cancel the group, left click any item in the folder list.

Be sure to NOT have more than 256 items highlighted in that group, because they won't all fit into a prim content tab.

You can also reverse the procedure from prim content tab back to inventory folder too.

Edited by SarahKB7 Koskinen

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 213 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.