Scattering in Blender

DulceDiva

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 161 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi all! Having a hard time scattering gems onto surface of clothing...shoes etc. Tried geometry nodes with no luck,all I'm getting is distorted results or nothing at all. Is there a trick into distributing diamonds/pearls,anything I want on clothing evenly/randomly?🤔 I've been doing this by hand so far and it feels like years have passed by...

Something like this? I used to use a particle system to scatter stuff randomly (after getting a pleasing enough distribution, convert the particles to actual mesh), but I guess with geometry nodes these days that's not necessary... haven't gotten to play much with them yet.

43edc0838da97b8d6db777de0be1985c.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Frionil Fang said:

Something like this? I used to use a particle system to scatter stuff randomly (after getting a pleasing enough distribution, convert the particles to actual mesh), but I guess with geometry nodes these days that's not necessary... haven't gotten to play much with them yet.

43edc0838da97b8d6db777de0be1985c.png

Nice.

Edited by GlamLine

7 minutes ago, DulceDiva said:

Does the sphere need to have 'Origin to geometry'?

In the above example the "stud" object is just a small hemisphere oriented along the Z axis, with its origin centered at the bottom:

968c2b6cbf3060068f7232b66a930632.png

The origin points are what are scattered and the geometry follows, so if I offset the geometry upwards, each stud on the sphere they're scattered on would start to hover. Might also want to make sure you've applied scale/rotation on the stud.

Edited by Frionil Fang
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@Frionil Fang Applied scale/rotation, however it won't multiply,it only scatters 1 copy of the object. My object consists of a stud + a diamond. No idea why it does that,tried playing with the settings but I don't know what exactly is wrong here.

EDIT: managed to get them to multiply, but they're going off the mesh and actually colliding with one another.

x.png

Edited by DulceDiva

Your distance minimum on Poisson scatter is set to 10.2 meters, which might not be what you want?

Above: max density 5, min distance 0.2 m (which is the size of the stud object). Below: min distance 2 m.

f6685cc5bdf919ae4f00c30df05d0d8d.png

Barring that I should probably leave it for someone more experienced to figure out.

• Like 1

I'm gonna have to let someone smarter take over with this investigation, sorry. Two last ditch ideas to check: if your bodysuit is two-sided, have you looked on the inside if the points are getting scattered there? Also have you tried setting the min. distance to 0? This is equivalent to the purely random mode of scattering and obviously skips the uniform-ish distance checks, but at least it lets you see if something is up with scale/distance considerations.

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Frionil Fang said:

I'm gonna have to let someone smarter take over with this investigation, sorry. Two last ditch ideas to check: if your bodysuit is two-sided, have you looked on the inside if the points are getting scattered there? Also have you tried setting the min. distance to 0? This is equivalent to the purely random mode of scattering and obviously skips the uniform-ish distance checks, but at least it lets you see if something is up with scale/distance considerations.

@Frionil FangThank you for helping me so far! I got it to work by adjusting the distance indeed! To an odd value... but it does the job hehe ^_^ Set the distance to 0.050 and then increased density to crazy values... and BOOM. My bodysuit got some nice gems on it. 

Thanks a bunch!!

Edited by DulceDiva
  • Like 1

On 11/22/2023 at 6:23 PM, DulceDiva said:

Got it to display at the right size, but now I'm only left with 1 instance,it won't multiply. I'm going insane lol.

x.thumb.png.635f0fb827cdb01ca7480631e5561964.png.eb8c2a639be16e7c3e4d1f42dbcc38f7.png

The Distance Min value is in meters, so when, as in your screenshot it is set to 2.000 it means the minimum distance between instances is 2 meters !

With a minimum distance between instances set to 2 meters your clothing item is just too small to have more than one instance  :)

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 161 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.