Why are my eyelashes blurry?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4687 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hey everyone, hope someone can help me with this problem.

Is it my settings? What causes them to blur like this?

I noticed this a couple of months ago and thought it would resolve and it hasn't.

I even went to buy a new pair of lashes to see if something was wrong with the texture but I get the same effect.

Not only eyelashes but the edges of other Alpha channel objects look ragged around the edges and not sharp.

Does anyone know what could cause this?

Thanks for taking time to read my post.

eyelashblur2.jpg

eyelashblur.jpg

It looks like artifacts from the texture used to make the prim eyelashes to me (especially the bottom picture).  I've never attempted to make eyelashes but I have made textures for small objects. And small textures on small objects are extremely hard to make and maintain good detail in the texture.  No detail can be smaller than 1 pixel in size......the detail blurs when you do reduce it to less by resizing your prim (that also happens when you reduce the resolution of your texture with minute detail...you have to be careful not to reduce so much as to blur the fine detail).  It looks like the creator's texture was placed on the prim then the prim was reduced in size with "stretch texture" enabled.........that's for the top picture.  The bottom looks like the creator simply made a mistake saving the texture for upload to SL.  If you have mod rights you might be able to fix it by playing with the repeats and offsets of the texture on the prim.

It's going to be hard to find perfect looking eyelashes if you are going to be looking as closely as your picture is showing.  There are limitations to what anyone can do with prims and textures in SL. 

If you use a third party client such as Phoenix, you might want to disable "fast alpha" in the preferences. This setting often turns alpha (semi-transparent) textures into a mess like that.

Otherwise this is likely the skin creator's fault. The eyelashes are part of the skin texture. You can almost remove them by editing your shape; there is a setting for eyelash length somewhere.

Thanks for all of your replies.

I'm using the SL Viewer: Second Life 2.7.2 

I will check out and see if there's a "fast alpha" on the viewer I'm using.

And the lashes are the prim lashes that you can attach and aren't part of the skin.

Also when they are first attached, they rez in perfectly and look like lashes then the image switches to the clump look.

The lashes I'm wearing in the first picture are prim lashes that came with a skin and they look clumpy.

The lashes I'm wearing in the second picture are prim lashes I just bought to see if maybe there was something wrong with the first lashes I had on.

Same effect no matter which lashes I attach.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4687 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.