The on going Mac voice issue

ItHadToComeToThis

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 234 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

So, has anyone on a Mac managed to figure out the issue of voice? I am currently using Mac OS Ventura, on a 16" Intel MBP from 2020 and I am still having the issue where the viewer will display my voice dot, and let me speak. However, no one can hear me and I can't see anyone else's voice dot.

So far I have tried the following various solutions:

1. Clear all cache and relog
  2. Reset voice
  3. Reset voice and relog
  4. Turn voice off, relog, turn voice on
  5. Reset the Mac microphone permissions via the terminal and re grant them when logging back in
  6. Same as 5 but turning voice off first and back on when logging in
  7. The solution given on the Jira for this issue, didn't work
  8. Checking in security and privacy, unticking and re ticking
  9. Removing SL Voice and Viewer from the firewall and re adding them
  10. Turning the firewall off entirely
  11. PRAM and VRAM reset
  12. Accessibility settings check
  13. Changing input output devices
  14. Restart the machine
  15. Completely uninstall and reinstall the latest version of the FS and LL viewer
  16. Connecting external mic and speakers on the off chance another device might work

Im not sure what else to try or how to fix this. I can talk, but it appears to be only local as no one can hear me, and I can't hear them or see their voice dots.

Did anyone finally figure out this issue? Or is this yet another issue that LL just hasn't fixed?

Edited by ItHadToComeToThis

9 hours ago, ItHadToComeToThis said:

So, has anyone on a Mac managed to figure out the issue of voice? I am currently using Mac OS Ventura, on a 16" Intel MBP from 2020 and I am still having the issue where the viewer will display my voice dot, and let me speak. However, no one can hear me and I can't see anyone else's voice dot.

So far I have tried the following various solutions:

1. Clear all cache and relog
  2. Reset voice
  3. Reset voice and relog
  4. Turn voice off, relog, turn voice on
  5. Reset the Mac microphone permissions via the terminal and re grant them when logging back in
  6. Same as 5 but turning voice off first and back on when logging in
  7. The solution given on the Jira for this issue, didn't work
  8. Checking in security and privacy, unticking and re ticking
  9. Removing SL Voice and Viewer from the firewall and re adding them
  10. Turning the firewall off entirely
  11. PRAM and VRAM reset
  12. Accessibility settings check
  13. Changing input output devices
  14. Restart the machine
  15. Completely uninstall and reinstall the latest version of the FS and LL viewer
  16. Connecting external mic and speakers on the off chance another device might work

Im not sure what else to try or how to fix this. I can talk, but it appears to be only local as no one can hear me, and I can't hear them or see their voice dots.

Did anyone finally figure out this issue? Or is this yet another issue that LL just hasn't fixed?

First of all, why on earth are you running a firewall on the Mac? On a bog standard macOS install there are NO open ports to the machine, and unless you have some very specific requirements, fudging with the firewall just screws things up.

Clearing the cache has no impact on your issue. – Ever. 

The only command you should use in terminal for this issue is:

tccutil reset Microphone

and then grant access to the microphone when prompted. This will reset Microphone access for all Apps, so you might be prompted a few times.

Then open the (on the SL viewer) Preferences -> Sound & Media -> Voice Input/Output Devices and check that your Input and Output both are set to Default and then Adjust the Mic Volume so you see activity in the volume indicator.

Do you have any other apps installed on your machine that use the microphone?

Do you use airpods when this happens?

You can also try my SL viewer preview, but I don't expect the behavior to be any different. 

On 9/13/2023 at 9:58 AM, Gavin Hird said:

First of all, why on earth are you running a firewall on the Mac? On a bog standard macOS install there are NO open ports to the machine, and unless you have some very specific requirements, fudging with the firewall just screws things up.

Clearing the cache has no impact on your issue. – Ever. 

The only command you should use in terminal for this issue is:

tccutil reset Microphone

and then grant access to the microphone when prompted. This will reset Microphone access for all Apps, so you might be prompted a few times.

Then open the (on the SL viewer) Preferences -> Sound & Media -> Voice Input/Output Devices and check that your Input and Output both are set to Default and then Adjust the Mic Volume so you see activity in the volume indicator.

Do you have any other apps installed on your machine that use the microphone?

Do you use airpods when this happens?

You can also try my SL viewer preview, but I don't expect the behavior to be any different. 

Okay, let's have less of the judgemental attitude on why I do what I do. Im asking for help here, not to be mocked.

I run the firewall because why not, having a firewall is better than no firewall, and it doesn't matter anyway because even without the firewall the issue still persists. And I have had no other issues on any software at all from running the firewall and haven't had for years.

As for cache, im aware, but in the spirit of trying everything, I tried that. A lot of weird issues that don't seem related, have been fixed by me clearing the cache in the past.

That's the terminal command I tried, including running it a second time as an administrator just for the sake of covering bases. I got the prompt to give access to the mic and it didn't fix anything so ticked it off the list.

Both are set to default, as I said, voice works locally for me, so activity shows up on the indicator. Other people can't hear me and I can't hear them or see their voice dot. I also tried every other device in the list for the sake of covering bases.

Discord is the only other thing I use voice on, no issues on there.

No, AirPods are not connected.

I don't particularly want to install further viewers. Especially ones I have never heard of before, from a site I have never seen before. No offence.

No, I definitely do NOT have MacKeeper on my Mac.

Edited by ItHadToComeToThis
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, ItHadToComeToThis said:

Okay, let's have less of the judgemental attitude on why I do what I do. Im asking for help here, not to be mocked.

I run the firewall because why not, having a firewall is better than no firewall, and it doesn't matter anyway because even without the firewall the issue still persists. And I have had no other issues on any software at all from running the firewall and haven't had for years.

As for cache, im aware, but in the spirit of trying everything, I tried that. A lot of weird issues that don't seem related, have been fixed by me clearing the cache in the past.

That's the terminal command I tried, including running it a second time as an administrator just for the sake of covering bases. I got the prompt to give access to the mic and it didn't fix anything so ticked it off the list.

Both are set to default, as I said, voice works locally for me, so activity shows up on the indicator. Other people can't hear me and I can't hear them or see their voice dot. I also tried every other device in the list for the sake of covering bases.

Discord is the only other thing I use voice on, no issues on there.

No, AirPods are not connected.

I don't particularly want to install further viewers. Especially ones I have never heard of before, from a site I have never seen before. No offence.

No, I definitely do NOT have MacKeeper on my Mac.

The only thing I can think about then is that the latest SL viewer has started using the VLC library and not FMOD studio for playing parcel sound, and there might be some weird interaction there. (I am unsure if FS have taken this change) It may not have the necessary permissions to run, or isn't signed properly. In my experience VLC should be avoided like the plague on macOS. 

As for another viewer, it is signed and notarised and published in my real name. 

For your own good, turn off the firewall (spoke as a former Apple employee) unless you have a need to open ports for anyone to connect to your Mac. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 234 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.