Update to 2.7.2 and I lost shadows

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4686 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I had shadows... and on Mesh Beta I have DOF.

Now i have the shadows all checked but "grayed" out and i see no shadows.

I am unable to check DOF

Any help would be appreciated

About SL

Second Life 2.7.2 (233432) Jun 21 2011 14:15:06 (Second Life Release)Release Notes
You are at 265,153.0, 279,487.0, 24.4 in JuicyBomb located at sim4973.agni.lindenlab.com (216.82.21.181:13000)Second Life Server 11.06.14.232746Release Notes
CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU    Q6600  @ 2.40GHz (2404.18 MHz)Memory: 3071 MBOS Version: Microsoft Windows Vista 32-bit Service Pack 2 (Build 6002)Graphics Card Vendor: ATI Technologies Inc.Graphics Card: ATI Radeon HD 5700 Series
Windows Graphics Driver Version: 8.861-110524a-119605C-ATIOpenGL Version: 4.1.10834 Compatibility Profile Context
libcurl Version: libcurl/7.21.1 OpenSSL/0.9.8q zlib/1.2.5 c-ares/1.7.1J2C Decoder Version: KDU v6.4.1Audio Driver Version: FMOD version 3.750000Qt Webkit Version: 4.7.1 (version number hard-coded)Voice Server Version: Not ConnectedBuilt with MSVC version 1600Packets Lost: 94/34,197 (0.3%)

Hi

Just in case, did you set the graphics to Ultra? They are only available at that setting.

I used 2.7.2 about half an hour and was able to use DOF.

However I went back to 2.7.1 btw. My card is spot on concerning the recommended specifications, but everytime i use lightning and shadows I crash every 5 minutes with 2.7.2.

2.7.2 Also has a bug that it doesn't actually uninstall the second life program folder so when re-installing 2.7.1 it stopped because DLL's couldn't be written due to SL uninstall kept that folder in use. I had to restart the puter and then delete that folder manually. Then i could re-install 2.7.1.

For me the latter has also higher FPS with all same settings and does crash much less.

Pfew... really 2.x is sooooo full of bugs that i would start to think.... scrap it ! 

2.4 Wasn't usuable (microfreezes), 2.6 had a serious texture REQ bug resulting in locking up the CPU's...

Now i have 2.7.1 which is more stable and texture do load, but it's with a Beta Search. 

2.7.2 crashes every other 5 minutes.

I had such a long list of trouble shootings that it is very clear to me that it is all in the program coding.

At the moment i only see lesser and lesser new users, repeat logins et cetera.

Also Basic loging is so confusing for newbs. 

SL in this ways stays something for long time users who have created some acceptance towards experimentations and for geeks perhaps but the normal user looses patience quick is what i see about noobs. None ever return and i helped so many already. SL simply keeps on going with experiments and Beta's that users never get a chance to have some sort of a stable SL (for what it is worth).

Really This 2 thing is a very very... very bad call. The bugs are bigger than programmers can handle. I would not be surprised there are more beta testers than programmers. Something i see often in IT land... very very very bad way of organizing... Managers  just want to get te latest thing on the market.... It's crap management, really 

... Viewer 3 ??

... CEO 3 ?

LOL

I had exactly the same problem. On 2.6.0 + starlight I had shadows; Updated to 2.7.2 and lost them. Like you the 'Lighting and Shadows' boxes were ticked but greyed out

What had happened is that 'Hardware skinning' had been disabled. This *must* be enabled to allow shadows

2.7.2 performance seems better with shadows compared with previous versions

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4686 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.