I am having trouble logging in to my game. It tells me it is waiting for region handshake.

Bryanne Darkwatch

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4707 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

After the region handshake fails it tells me that we are having trouble connecting. There may be a problem with your internet connection or the Second Life Grid. Tells me to check my internet connection and try again, or to check the Second Life Support Portal. I have done both and my internet connection is fine. The Second Life Support Portal said it was having restarts. This has been going on with me for two days now. I can log on sometimes but after a few minutes it logs me off again with the same message. 

Thank you, Bryanne Darkwatch

1 answer to this question

How are you checking your Internet connection?  Just looking at that little icon on your task bar won't tell you much at all......only that you have access to your ISP's servers.  And even then it tells you nothing about the quality of that connection.  Most problems of your nature are connection issues.........things like a slow connection, a connection that is not stable, packet loss, and a whole host of other potential problems.  Many (actually most) things you do on the Internet are not affected in a noticable way by poor connections, slow connections, excessive packet loss.  Second Life is different..........to a very large degree, in fact.

The first thing you should try is to reset your modem and router.  You do that by unplugging them for a few minutes (3 to 5), then plugging them back in, waiting for the lights to settle to their normal blinking routine and trying SL again (you might have to reboot your computer to establish your connection again after turning off your modem and routine......most people shut down their computer before the reset the devices).

If that doesn't work (and it's only about a 50-50 chance it will) then you need to run some tests.  Go here:

http://www.speedtest.net/

Run a couple speed tests to both San Francisco, CA and Dallas, TX.  Then run a ping test to each.  What you are looking for on the ping test is not so much the times but Jitter and Packet Loss.  Those should be very low................the speed in the PIng Test depends on the physical distance you are from LL's servers.  Your broadband speed (Upload, primarily) should be at least 75% of your ISP's advertised speed for the Internet package you pay for........if not, then call them to find out why.  You need, at least 500 kbps for SL to work.....if you want stability and dependability then you need 1,000 kbps.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4707 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.