How to set an object so it auto attaches to HUD

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 433 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I have a full perm object that I would like to automatically attach to the HUD when choosing the option "Wear" and/or "Add". I have read through the SL wiki on how to create HUDs but could not for the life of me understand from those instructions how to make an object attach to the HUD rather than to a regular attachment point.

You can't make an attachment attach to another attachment, but you can attach two attachments to the same spot.  If your HUD is attached to, say, the ATTACH_HUD_CENTER_1 point, you should be able to attach another object to the same point. ( Or to another HUD attachment point and then just move it on screen to put it visually at the same place.)  If it's important to have the new item behave as if it is a part of the HUD, you'll have to script them to communicate with each other.

When the HUD is not attached to you, right-click it in your inventory and choose "attach to HUD..." and the appropriate point.

All objects will remember where they were attached previously, even after they're transferred to another avatar. (The right hand is the default location.) When you wear/add an object, it always goes to the previous attachment point.

Edited by Wulfie Reanimator
  • Like 1

Thank you for taking the time to respond to my post! I am able to attach the object to my own hud, but I would like to have it automatically attach to other people's hud when they select "wear" or "add". I have no idea how to turn a prim/mesh object into a hud. I think I need a basic guide on that first but the SL wiki doesn't have a clear tutorial for this process. I found Rolig's explanation helpful but am needing the very basics first before I can implement this advice, and am not sure where to go to find this info. Thanks so much for your help!

1 hour ago, VexxMortem said:

Thank you for taking the time to respond to my post! I am able to attach the object to my own hud, but I would like to have it automatically attach to other people's hud when they select "wear" or "add".

Attaching it to your own HUD is all you need to do. When you give a copy to someone else, it will attach to their HUD.

• Like 2

So if I want to sell a prim or mesh object as a HUD, I would just need to first attach it to my HUD, detach it and then put it in the vendor? When the person who buys it adds or wears, it will auto attach to their HUD? I had no idea it was that easy - thank you!

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 433 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.