Textures and colors vanished?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 479 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi,

So I'm trying building a house with many pieces. I completed it and went to take a copy before I got to work on adding things to the rezzer, and then I ran into a couple of problems.

First, with the copy it simply whitewashed my entire house. All colors and textures became white which has made a mess of things.

Also, after linking all of my doors simply fly off when I click to enter. (and also my lights stay on constantly rather than working via the switch which was working perfectly before linking) Oh and all of my doors are on their own channels.

Now my house is a mess with things misaligned as one copy (which only linked about 90% when each piece was highlighted) wasn't perfect and the one with all of the pieces is pure white.

Any ideas on what has gone wrong?

Thanks

It sounds like you have at least three problems, possibly more. First, I'm guessing that you textured your house with local textures instead of uploading and paying for permanent textures.  Local textures are great for testing things but you'll need to upload the permanent ones in order to have them persist later. Otherwise, they will vanish and you'll be left with whiteness.

Second, you are using doors that were not designed to be installed the way that you did it. You need to be very careful with scripted things like doors, which are sensitive to link number and need to be installed as the scripter intended. If not, then there's no telling how the scripts will respond to touches on random links around the build. Also, if you re-link parts of the structure, the scripts may start rotating things other than the doors.  The same is true for any scripted things, BTW, like lights. 

Third (related to the second problem), you shouldn't need to have a separate channel for each door (or light, or whatever). In fact, you shouldn't be using a system that communicates in any chat channel.  For a structure like a house, you should be doing all communication with link messages, so that they are passed directly from one link to another. The only time you should need chat channels is if you are controlling house functions from a wearable HUD or some other remote device.  Aside from the matter of efficiency, link messages have the advantage of avoiding cross-talk among scripted objects.  If the house is well-scripted, you should need no more than one or two scripts to control everything -- doors, windows, lights, changeable textures, ...

I have no idea why you are getting more than one copy of things, but I suppose that depends on how you were rezzing them.  That's a separate puzzle.

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 479 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.