Space Navigator with Linux Mint - issues making it work

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4695 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi everyone, I am hoping someone out here has the answer to my problem.

I am trying to get my space navigator to work in second life but for the life of me I am stuck and cant figure it out.

I am running Linux Mint 11 Katya. I got the SN to work on blender so I know the proper drivers are installed and working. I can also get as far as the SL viewer detecting it, however after that-nothing. I can't get it to move a thing. I have tried it with the official sl viewer, phoenix and firestorm. Only get to that detection point and then nothing.

If anyone has any suggestions on how to proceed from this point or possibly a solution to this it would be awesome.

Thanks very much!

-Ange

Fluffy Sharkfin wrote:

Apologies if this is just stating the obvious, but have you made sure you're in flycam mode?

There's some information pertaining to the space navigator on the
, it may be worth checking that too if you haven't already.

thanks Fluffy, but actually doesnt work in flycam mode either. I know it works in blender and it even lights up blue as soon as I open any of the viewers, but after that it just wont budge.

I have enabled it, set the default sn settings, did the same thing on multiple viewers and nothing happens. Doesnt move an inch.

Unfortunately I'm running windows so can't really offer much advice, but did you try the setup steps suggested for linux users here?

If that doesn't work there are some free alternate drivers available for Linux Mint at http://spacenav.sourceforge.net/, I guess you could try those.

Also, I don't know if the group is still active or not but apparently theres a "3DConnexion Space Cadets" group in SL, maybe one of them could offer further assistance?

Good luck, hope you get it working. :matte-motes-smile:

thanks guys for your input, however the information on the sl wiki for the sn for linux is outdated. HAL isnt used anymore far as I know and I am also not using drivers from the manufacturer.

The issue isn't the driver as it works fine outside of SL. I can use it on blender without any issues and it is recognized immediately as what it is when opening any of the sl viewers. (turns on blue light)

The problem is that even after it is detected and enabled in preferences it still doesn't work. So I am at a loss here. I have been googling this all over the place but so far no answers. Will keep looking..thanks again!

-Ange

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4695 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.