anyone using a HD6770 can u set it to high or even ultra high settings ?

Quinn Lysette

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4729 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

4 answers to this question

I don't use that card but after looking at the specs at Radeon, it appears to be a very good card for the money.

My Quadro card recently died and while hunting for a new card I discovered 3 price options.

1. 80$-150$ cards

2. 175$-300$ cards

3. 400$-800$ cards

I have my eye on the ASUS ENGTX580 DCII/2DIS/1536MD5 as soon as I can get the cash.

Hi Quinn, 

From what I understand Second Life compatibility with ATI cards is improving (see this nwn post for example http://bit.ly/iX8e2z). 

But with that being said, ATI cards have historically encountered many problems with Second Life, especially when using shadows, ambient occlusion or projected lighting.  From what I understand part of this has to do with how ATI cards run OpenGL (the 3D standard used for second life).  Most contemporary games do not use OpenGL so this explains the often striking disparity between running a new game on an ATI card and running Second Life.

There are ways around this and many Second Life users with ATI cards have developed innovative tweaks and drivers to advantage of their ATI cards.  But you may still find yourself in a position of essentially emulating an openGL environment with an ATI card.  

This is not an issue with an Nvidia card at all and if you can find even a good midrange nvidia card, I would recommend buying one over the HD6770.

Best,

Ehrman

• Like 1

Your Machine's specs and capabilities are very important factors also.

A good way to find the popular cards is to look online for a place to buy near you. All the cards listed at the stores as "On back order, order only, out of stock" are usally the good cards. I had to settle for what I could find in stock because I needed a replacement right then, I didn't want to wait.

I'm very happy with the performance of a $120 card and I can run on ultra but I think my pc is picking up the slack.

The Quadro card was better and better matched to my machines specs. I will eventually upgrade.   

I, too, don't use an ATI/AMD video card.  It's merely a preference of mine (maybe even a bias) but I will tell that ATI/AMD cards are pretty much equal in performance to nVidia.  Yes, there was a period of about 2 years when ATI lagged behind nVidia in the OpenGL support.  That is not the case anymore..........both cards support the OpenGL rendering superbly.  The ATI cards are generally less expensive than the nVidia cards (much like AMD CPU's are less expensive than Intel CPU's), but, just as in the CPU's, that is not an indication of quality.

The HD6770, by the model number, is high enough performing to give you good performance in SL.  I'm sure you could run SL at high settings using the card.........and probably even at ultra (remember, though, that there will be a performance hit with the ultra setting.......that is also the case with nVidia).  If the card is in your price range then go for it......it will work.  One reminder........check the power supply requirement for the card (higher performance cards require a substanial amount of power to run properly........on any card, regardless of the manufacturer).  A power supply upgrade may in order.......but PS's are relatively cheap, easy to install, and last for years so they can be moved from computer to another as you purchase them over time.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4729 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.