Pixelated texture upload/display

Abbiabigail

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 601 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi all! Is there a way to improve texture display in SL? I almost tried everything, size compatible resolution, high resolution with bi-linear sampling, changing the upload dimensions from the debug settings.. Nothing seems to work. Is there a way to upload a high quality image to clothing for example without having to UV mapping it before, and still have a good quality when zooming in?
texture blurry 002

texture blurry 001

Edited by Abbiabigail

• Abbiabigail changed the title to Pixelated texture upload/display

1024x1024 is the highest you can go. If that's not enough, you'd have to change the mesh to have a more dense UV layout or multiple material slots.

If the UV map is poorly designed and sparse, a lot of those pixels aren't ever visible but still loaded, and are just wasting everyone's video memory and performance. Adding extra material slots also has its costs, due to extra textures (duh) and extra rendering batches.

In some cases you can add "fake detail" by using seamlessly tiling normal/specular textures at high repeats to make the object appear more detailed up close, even if the base diffuse texture has no extra resolution. The normal/spec textures don't even need to be high resolution, a 128x128 Perlin noise with sufficiently high repeats causes enough distraction. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Abbiabigail said:

Hi all! Is there a way to improve texture display in SL? I almost tried everything, size compatible resolution, high resolution with bi-linear sampling, changing the upload dimensions from the debug settings.

All images are shrunk to a maximum size of 1,024 x 1,024 during upload. Changing debug settings only permits the client to allow larger source images into the auto-shrinker.

I'm having this problem, been creating clothes in sl for over 10 years and this is the first time this happens, and its killing me slowly XD. So.. i test the textures on the mesh before upload, with local textures on edite mode,  and the texture looks good, but then i pay the upload and i get well il show you guys some pics. I use photoshop, 1024x1024 textures as i always do, but then this is happening.

bc0486ad4fefad851e05c07e2ec52046.png.51de3289e59158f43e4a028338c6bae0.png

thats the priview, in edit mode.

eb9fb827465f7c529f3c61cf4e4cb1c4.png.8262122f1c22c9b0d0947eca66a02566.png

this is what i get when upload, wasted like 500L uploading the textures and trying to fix it and nothing...HELP!

35 minutes ago, Kurt Phydeau said:

this is what i get when upload, wasted like 500L uploading the textures and trying to fix it and nothing...HELP!

Step 1: log into the preview grid so you can spend fake linden for uploads instead.

To explain the difference in texture appearance, local textures are loaded from your computer (which can be uncompressed files), but uploaded textures have to go through the jpeg2000 conversion, which is a lossy format and will reduce the quality of the texture.

Your texture has visual artifacts due to compressed color data (the more I look at it, I'm not sure if the texture is fully loaded), while the OP is actually lacking in pixel density.

Edited by Wulfie Reanimator

2 hours ago, Kurt Phydeau said:

I'm having this problem, been creating clothes in sl for over 10 years and this is the first time this happens, and its killing me slowly XD. So.. i test the textures on the mesh before upload, with local textures on edite mode,  and the texture looks good, but then i pay the upload and i get well il show you guys some pics. I use photoshop, 1024x1024 textures as i always do, but then this is happening.

bc0486ad4fefad851e05c07e2ec52046.png.51de3289e59158f43e4a028338c6bae0.png

thats the priview, in edit mode.

eb9fb827465f7c529f3c61cf4e4cb1c4.png.8262122f1c22c9b0d0947eca66a02566.png

Actually I like the second image much more. It looks more like fabric and less artificial to me. I would try to add such fuzzyness to the original texture actually. Then compression artifacts won't be as dramatic as well probably. In case the texture is fully loaded, you got that effect for free here, though.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 601 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.