SL login works using cellular data, but not anymore from the regular home internet connection

RenardRenoir

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 654 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Hello everyone,

dealing with an annoying issue since this morning. (To my knowledge there hasn't been any updates neither with my internet provider nor with my laptop)

Trying to log into SL as usual (Firestorm 6.5.3 (65658), latest version)  via my regular home internet connection (cable) and obtaining the "Login failed. Despite our best efforts, something unexpected has gone wrong"...etc error message.

SIngularity Viewer throws up the (more accurate ) error message "Unable to login to SL...Forbidden".

Probelm can be reproduced on two different machines, so no installation or individual issue.

What I tried initially :

• Restarting router (Several times)
  • Restarting laptop (Several times), incl. turning off Wifi and back on again. Everything else internet related works perfectly (except for Firestorm/Singularity, and I sitting right be the router, so no wifi/cable issue here)
  • Flushing DNS (ipconfig /flushdns)
  • Switching internet Access Points inside the house

Looked through the logfiles and narrowed it down to https://login.agni.lindenlab.com/....looks like there is a permission issue that prevents me from logging in.
The funny thing is, when I switch to using cellular data with a phone, there are no connecting issues, everything works as usual.  NO forbidden, no problem at all logging in.
Everything I tried before is not an issue as soon as I switch to cellular data.

So, is it my provider making life difficult for me or is LindenLab blocking my providers' request?
Can find any indication of the reason for the problem in the logfile.

Any ideas? Sounds familiar to anyone? Anything else I can try?

Looking forward to comments and similar experiences...and thank you in advance!

Edited by RenardRenoir

6 answers to this question

Have you or anyone in your household done anything that could possibly get you banned from SL?  Check for an email - check your spam folder also.

I believe that LL can do an IP ban, which could cover any connections from your home internet.  However, your IP would be different when you connect via you cell phone.

I have no clue what the login messages are when you are banned, but you definitely will get an email about it.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell

Hi, LittleMe Jewell, and thank you for your message,

The fact that I am able to connect otherwise (Like I described, with the cellphone) tells me there is no ban in effect, and yes, spam filter has been checked, no mail in that respect whatsoever...

8 minutes ago, RenardRenoir said:

Hi, LittleMe Jewell, and thank you for your message,

The fact that I am able to connect otherwise (Like I described, with the cellphone) tells me there is no ban in effect, and yes, spam filter has been checked, no mail in that respect whatsoever...

True - your account is not banned (you also usually can't post here if you were banned, so that should have been obvious to me).  Do you live with anyone else that is also in SL or have friends over that are also in SL?  It is a slim possibility that it is an IP ban.

Based on the message, it seems like you are reaching SL -- i.e. the servers -- but just not able to complete the login process.  I'd probably open a Support ticket with LL and also reach out to the internet provide.r

2 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

True - your account is not banned (you also usually can't post here if you were banned, so that should have been obvious to me).  Do you live with anyone else that is also in SL or have friends over that are also in SL?  It is a slim possibility that it is an IP ban.

Based on the message, it seems like you are reaching SL -- i.e. the servers -- but just not able to complete the login process.  I'd probably open a Support ticket with LL and also reach out to the internet provide.r

Exactly. A support case has been filed already. I think LL blocked an IP address segment by accident or as a "collateral damage" to some kind of action :)
In the meantime, VPN comes to the rescue!

• Like 1

Hi Renard,

My girlfriend from Germany has been having the exact same problem for the last 3 days. We are guessing that the problem is at her ISP.  Perhaps they did an upgrade an accidentally blocked SL?  This stuff is above my paygrade 😕  BTW, are you in Germany by any chance?  If so, which ISP do you use?

1 minute ago, Cayle said:

Hi Renard,

My girlfriend from Germany has been having the exact same problem for the last 3 days. We are guessing that the problem is at her ISP.  Perhaps they did an upgrade an accidentally blocked SL?  This stuff is above my paygrade 😕  BTW, are you in Germany by any chance?  If so, which ISP do you use?

Hi Cayle, I use Vodafone and it has almost been very reliable. Digging into the problem, I am convinced that SL has blocked the ISP adresses, unintentionally, I hope. USing a VPN I have no issues whatsoever. 

That said: Looks like the problem has been solved on their side, I can log in normally again. I had filed a support case with all the information and either they looked at it and solved it, or someone just noticed the problem independently. ANway, it was not the ISP (I thought so originally) , it was LL :)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 654 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.