Load All the Things

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 744 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hey everyone! 

I want to do a PODsCast video of the SLB event and I’m trying to figure out the best way to load all of the textures in for the video.

Should I go explore the route first and load in all the textures - then ride? Or should I just stand there and let them load in for 30 mins?

I don’t know enough about texture cache to know how it works. 

2 hours ago, Feorie Frimon said:

Hey everyone! 

I want to do a PODsCast video of the SLB event and I’m trying to figure out the best way to load all of the textures in for the video.

Should I go explore the route first and load in all the textures - then ride? Or should I just stand there and let them load in for 30 mins?

I don’t know enough about texture cache to know how it works. 

Use a viewer that properly loads textures and got a texture memory setting (found in the Graphics settings of the Preferences floater) going above the 512MB max offered by LL's viewer... You do not need 30 minutes to load everything (2 minutes should be more than enough). The Cool VL Viewer is a super-fast rezzer (with also texture rezzing boost features: see in the Advanced -> Rendering -> Textures sub-menu).

Be careful however: increasing too much the texture memory may also cause large hiccups and slow downs (and sometimes seconds-long freezes !). I usually use 2048MB to 3072MB maximum for textures memory. Depending on how textures-heavy is the sim, you might have to adjust the draw distance so that all textures can load in the configured memory while keeping the Texture discard BIAS at 0.00 in the texture console (CTRL SHIFT 3 to open it, normally, or find the entry for that console in the advanced menus, depending on the viewer); if the BIAS increases above 0.00, some textures will be downgraded to a lower Level Of Details (LOD) and appear blurry (that's why LL's viewer cannot cope with only 512MB of textures memory).

Edited by Henri Beauchamp
  • Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 744 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.