Extremities use in Maya 2011

guY Ralior

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4696 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Why is that when you skin weight an avatar mesh in Blender 2.49b you can skin weight to the mSkull, mRightEye, mLeftEye, mWristRIght, mWristLeft, mToeRIght, and mToeLeft bones but in Maya you cannot? Is there some type of handle that needs to go on those bones so they can be weighted?

I guess it would be possible to weight everything but those bones in Maya then export to Blender weight just the extremity bones then export to SL, but I would much rather just stay within Maya if possible :D

You can skin weights to the bones in Maya for eyes and toes, I've done it plenty of times. I am not sure what your skeleton looks like, and what pieces are being weighed to what...that in itself can be an issue, but if you are jumping between blender and maya after you had weights painted I am not sure if that could be causing that issue.

My rig is the standard SL avatar rig unadjusted. If I select smooth bind it doesn't include all extremity bones in the bind. They are also not included into the component editor when the bind is completed. I am not sure how to add them there if that is possible but could find out if it is. When I do a interactive bind they also are not weighted although they do show up in the list within the tool settings.

Thank you for letting me know its possible I will dig further in my understanding of manually skinning within Maya.

[Edited] I was able to locate within the component editor the unweighted bones and get them properly weighted, and now all are working, thank you again for letting me know it was possible :D

I wander, default SL rig ?? in maya ??? now how exactly did you do that ?

I have rigged so many objects in maya by now hoping i could get just something working but what ever i try if i set up the skeleton in maya SL does not pick it up. So please explain for the full maya SL community how do you rig your object in maya and have them working in SL i have 1000 people waiting for the answer and i have bin breaking my head a million times over that problem by now.
So if you have a rig that works for maya please share it in a maya file not a dea not an obj we need the maya scene file and not the crap from blender either.

If you are working with an rig converted from blender well there is your problem. blender and maya dont mix well so...
Maya will not be able to proper bind skin to the rig and not in the first place be able to proper skin weight pain it.

I was soooooo hoping that now we get proper 3D in SL we would get rid of all this free blender crap and get proper support for more professional programs to for people like us who can afford maya.

Does Linden labs have a deal with blender or something !!  that we dont get support for max, maya, art of illusion, poser zbrush, mudbox and what not ?? all i hear is blender blender blender the heck with blender.

Please guys if you manage to make a rig in maya with maya tools no import crap from blender or what so ever then please please i beg you share it.

Greets Gamthalion

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4696 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.