What about an "Import description file" ?

Gaia Clary

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4712 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi.

This morning after countless re-uploads and tests i finally got annoyed about remembering the exact set of files and attribute settings for my mesh uploads. it sometimes takes me minutes to specify and check the import settings. And all so often did i upload a rigged mesh and forgot to check the "skin weights" in the modifier tab ;-(

So i added a feature request for getting an import description file:

https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/CTS-634

I think that such an addition could become "the builder's friend" and i am certain that we will find a way to create such a description file by script and add that as another export option to our favorite 3D editor ... hint,hint, ... ;-)

If you like this, please vote for it on the jira (although i am not sure if voting is necessary)

• Like 1

• Lindens

We should already be saving your import settings to a file next to the collada file you're importing with. When you re-select a previously uploaded collada file, the importer should load those settings. If this is not the case, that's a bug we should fix :)

It's set to FALSE by default in the Debug Settings. Set MeshImportUseSLM to TRUE and the LODs will load the next time you upload your mesh. 

Though, in the latest Viewer builds, a decomposed physics shape won't load by the .slm file. That's a bug!

Nyx Linden wrote:

We should already be saving your import settings to a file next to the collada file you're importing with. When you re-select a previously uploaded collada file, the importer should load those settings. If this is not the case, that's a bug we should fix
:)

Nope, not getting any file saved next to my Collada file.  Windows 7 x64, uploading from

C:\Users\[my user directory]\Documents\3dsMax\export\SLTest\Test Items

Using Mesh Asset Deprecation 2.7.3 (232588)

Nyx Linden wrote:

We should already be saving your import settings to a file next to the collada file you're importing with. When you re-select a previously uploaded collada file, the importer should load those settings. If this is not the case, that's a bug we should fix
:)

Good to know, but...

Although the lod shapes are preserved in the slm file, the sources are not preserved. The information from which files they have been made originally is lost in that file.

Why did you choose to make it a binary file ?

Wouldn't it be much more helpfull to be able to export such files from our local 3D Editor ? in XML for example as i propose in the feature request ? That would allow us to create helper tools (without need to create a special TPV ...)

The SLM import file is not that bad. I'm glad it's there.

Since they removed the asset draging, I have set a up a Sql database and store, childprim pos/rot/size/textures via a script in the database. My mesh car contains 29 mesh parts. Only thing I had to do on reupload is naming the meshes to their proper names, linking it all together and call the database. And my car rebuilds magically by itself. If I change a single mesh, I just link it in and call the database again, and it moves to it's place with the proper size and textures.

Of course, it's not all prim properties yet, but it's a huge timesaver already.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4712 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.