Landform surprises

Chic Aeon

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 766 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I don't post here often any longer since I am still in OLD Blender and don't plan to move on up. And honestly it doesn't look like this is a busy sub forum these days unless some posts got lost along the way. BUT I thought this was a pretty interesting screenshot and thought I would share. 

This is a mix of imported 'stone stairs" landform from a couple of years ago at Halloween at Babbage (on the left).  The other mesh cubes are BIG and go down deep into the ground (this is on one of the color sims where you can terraform on mainland).  With some actual texturing this doesn't look all that bad really but of course it was just meant as a sizing example to bring into Blender.  What really surprised me what the land impact.  And yes all the physics are correct. So posting for interest. 

That's me standing on the central platform to help you guage the size. 

image.thumb.png.fc81e6b6831877a8979ffd1887062abd.png

Here is the import into Blender. 

image.png.96c44d2548b9256029a243ee4f3e42b7.png

Edited by Chic Aeon
adding info
  • Like 3

That's remarkably low for something of that size!

I've played around with trying to make large scale low land impact mesh but was going for something a little more "lumpy" so didn't stretch my polygons quite as far.  I managed some reasonable looking 1 LI columns with LODs and physics that worked out at just over 13 meters tall ...

1034811119_1primcolumns.thumb.jpg.241d4806b524fd431561962d03c7e236.jpg

(the textures are only 512x512, but for a stylized look you really don't need a lot of pixels).

• Like 1

Here is what I ended up with.  ODDLY those stairs that were included in the 4 land impact when linked are now 7 (I didn't touch them, just unlinked those cubes).  The other NEW piece is 17 and I used it three times here.  That of course had more vertices. The pieces DO go way down into the water for "realism" LOL.  

Anyway a fun project.  Not sure what was happening with the LI in that build menu. 

Edit: Long distance LODs

image.png.570a9a8eb8903f0ac48e499db9b9fbff.png

image.thumb.png.c8989b8df533e1da6649eeddf5b30cad.png

Edited by Chic Aeon
adding info
  • Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 766 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.