Help with Mobile connection - random disconnects from SL despite -everything- else working perfectly

Ashelia Difference

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 793 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Hello everyone,

I'm wondering if someone with a bit more technical knowledge can help me as this issue is making me want to scream.

I'm moving about a lot due to work, as such I'm having to use a mobile connection - I know this might make a lot of people groan, but bear with me as I've used this with no issues in the past - in fact as we've gone onto 5G then it's only gotten better and faster - until a couple days ago. I started my work stint again and I am simply unable to maintain a solid connection to SL - this occurs in -any- viewer, on both my desktop and laptop. I have tried-

Reducing bandwidth in settings (covered below, but I felt it was an important one)

Using both wireless (Mobile Hotspot) and wired (USB tethering)

Pretty much everything on Nalates' blog: http://blog.nalates.net/2011/10/26/troubleshoot-your-sl-connection/
Multiple viewers

Multiple machines (as stated)

Clean viewer installs

Clean Windows install

I am able to connect and log in, even go about my SL business as normal, then without warning, (It can be instant, most of the time it's a few minutes, another time over an hour) I will lose connection; all traffic will stop, I cannot chat, cannot move, cannot TP, and it takes the viewer a good minute or two to realize I have lagged out before it logs me out. I am able to again, log straight back in, before the cycle repeats. It's as though something is cutting SL off from the internet. Other times my client will still receive UDP data, but I'll still be unable to act.

After -everything- I have done and tried, I can only conclude it's an issue with the cell towers I am nearby and trying to use, but is there anything on here with some more technical knowledge who can give some input and perhaps something I haven't tried, or perhaps some setting I could alter that might affect the flow of traffic - anything at this point, as I really don't want to give up my SL when -everything- else on my machines work perfectly, and SL is the only application that will not work and cuts off.

Some stats,

On a tethered connection, internet speed is 145mbps down, 8mbsp up.

Packet loss can spike (measured in Firestorm) up to 0.4 percent, but has never been an issue before.

Ping to the sim/s sits at about 225ms 

Time dilation sits at 0.999

I've attached an image of the FS stats, but beyond that I'm genuinely lost.

stat.png

1 answer to this question

Packet Loss is likely your problem.  Second Life requires a pretty much constant back and forth communication.  Much packet loss at all > 0.1-2% and you'll disconnect lots.  If you've always had packet loss and stayed connected, count yourself lucky.

We warn people about home wireless connections.  I can image that a mobile connection is even less stable.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 793 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.