Prem Acc's is the 117 Prim 517sqm parcel the only land option? What about mainland owned?

Psycho Namir

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4711 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

1 answer to this question

As a premium member you are allowed to "own" land that is on one of the Linden Lab maintained continents (called Mainland).  That means that you can purchase a parcel on Mainland either from Linden Lab or from another resident who might sell the Mainland parcel to you (the "ownership" is transferred from the old owner to you when the land is sold).  If you decide to go that route, you are not "alloted" the parcel............you must purchase it using Linden dollars at whatever the selling price is.  Another route you can take is to opt for a "Linden Home".  Those homes are located on Linden maintained land and LL does, indeed, allot those homes to you (you do not have to purchase them).  Notice that I said "homes" and not "land".  A Linden Home is just that.........it sits on virtual land just like any other home but that land is not a 512 square meter plot (it's just big enough for the home to sit on).  All land surrounding the Linden Home is Linden protected land and no resident can build on it or place prims on it. 

LL allows each premium member who owns land on mainland 512 sq meters tier free.......meaning you pay no additional fees for land use.  If you take a Linden Home you use that 512 meter tier free perk and if you decide to also purchase Mainland in addition to your Linden Home you will be charged tier for the land you buy (or you can give up your Linden Home).  As long as you don't own more than 512 meters you will not be charged any tier.....go over the 512 meters and you will be charged.

Each 512 meters of Mainland is allotted 117 prims (there are bonuses but that gets complicated).  On Mainland every prim you place on the land is counted.  If you put a home on your plot and it has 100 prims you will have 17 prims left to decorate or landscape your home.  The one advantage to Linden Homes is that the homes are not counted toward your prim allotment...........you get all 117 to decorate (your can't landscape because you can't place any prims outside the walls for your home.

Most people find 512 meter plots to be much too small due to the 117 prim limit.  It can be confining but it can work too.  I have my original 512 plot I purchased over 5 years ago and have no problem with the 117 prims........right now I have over 75 prims available for use.

What I suggest is to get a Linden Home and get the feel for prims and how they add up.  Look around for Mainland and find a plot you like that is for sale..........purchase it and abandon your Linden Home so you don't get into tier charges.  You'll probably find you will want more than 512 meters (most people do) so look into how tier works, decide how much you are willing to pay in fees and go from there.  You can also rent from private estates and your "rent" in Linden dollars and keep your Linden Home.  Lots of people do that and the weekly stipend goes toward there "rent" to the owner of the estate.  There are many ways to go about "owning" land..........but you are not "allotted" anything.  It all costs something..........a Linden Home is as close to "free" as it gets (and there are several restrictions that you don't have with renting or owning Mainland).

• Like 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4711 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.