Support for higher dimensional constructions?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4653 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I have always argued that time is not a dimension but rather a direction at best, or a point at worst...

based on the rule that a dimension should support both bidirectionality AND connection of points in the physical sense.

and since time natures is unidirectional (AFAWK) and stateful it should be supportable in all three common dimensions or subsets of them. that means it should actually be the zeroth, and not the fourth

ETA:
@OP, lets assume we went there and supported things like hypercubes... there's about a dozen ways to try an visualize those in three dimensions, which would all lead to different 2d forms, none of which most people brains can really wrap around.... which would you like to see implemented?

@Void:

Absolutely correct.  Time is the zeroth dimension;  Any object needing to exist in one or more dimensions must have time to exist in.  I'm so happy a few others have figured this out too....  :matte-motes-sunglasses-1: ...though I'd argue the unidirectional requirement for time.  Personally I describe time as separate, but not quite so limited, as a 'dimension'.  Time is actually an n-dimensional volume where discrete potential outcomes split from each previous result.  Hence, all possible eventualities do exist, simultaneously.  Time paradox is eliminated, and the only question then becomes how does one travel ACROSS time, as well as up/down it.......

@OP:

We actually have quite a few dimensions we are building in in SL.....a 'dimension' is simply an independant quantifiable quality an object can possess.  Height, width, depth....but also color, glow, twist, cut, and more are also dimensions within the qualities that define a 'prim'.

well multiworlds is one theory, but the best argument against it is that quantum effect seem to be field based and therefor analog and not discrete... (although arguably there are preferred states that are semi discrete, s'why I say arguable)

but enough of the sidebar, I'm curious what the OP has in mind

• 1 month later...

You'd think 3D would be simple for LL to implement: give everybody two cameras a certain distance apart, pipe both views to a customized viewer, and display one in red and one in blue (or different polarized light, or whatever).  Would make building easier too: I reckon every builder's positioned one prim so it appears to be sitting on top of another, only to change camera angles and find that they're really 5 meters apart.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4653 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.