Create a Security Camera and display that camera feed on a Prim.

KacyAnne

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 837 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I am looking for ideas on how to create a security camera or a camera that would capture and display live data on a PRIM.    This would also lend itself for the creation on a reflection of a mirror  in rooms.

Has anyone seen a way to create this camera?

• Haha 2

You can run another viewer, point it where you want it looking and stream it as video to website that you then display on the prim. But don't ask me if it's worth trying :D The video will also be delayed, so won't work for mirrors, unless you want a trippy mirror.

Tomm,

I was thinking the same thing there.  Thanks for confirming that.  I also looked further into this and found that creating a real time time camera could exploit someone's privacy if misused, so I see now why it is not available.     It just would be really cool to see you own reflection in the mirror. 

Thanks so much for letting me be a sounding board.    It is ideas like this that enhance the SL experience.  

Kacy Anne

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, KacyAnne said:

Tomm,

I was thinking the same thing there.  Thanks for confirming that.  I also looked further into this and found that creating a real time time camera could exploit someone's privacy if misused, so I see now why it is not available.     It just would be really cool to see you own reflection in the mirror. 

Thanks so much for letting me be a sounding board.    It is ideas like this that enhance the SL experience.  

Kacy Anne

Indeed, it would be very cool to have real-time reflections in SL.

I really don't know about the privacy thing and actually, it raises an interesting question, whether it would be against ToS to live stream SL to public. But anyway, you're welcome 🙂

A long time ago, the Lindens had set up an avatar parked outside one of the welcome area sandboxes and had its camera view being projected to a live stream on their site. I think the account was called "Video Linden" or something to that effect. Similarly, some time later I encountered an avatar with a prim cube over their head with the forward face being a live feed from their own webcam. It was an interesting sight.

On the subject of mirrors, you can fake the effect of a mirror with clever use of projectors as seen here. But it only works for static scenery: you have to take a picture to use as a texture for the "reflection".

There is also a trick where you can get a single perfect real-time mirror by using the region's water surface with appropriate graphics settings and water presets. An older example can be found here. Of course, since you're using the region's natural water, you have to orient everything around that. No too big of a deal for taking pictures, but if you want a scene that people can walk around in, it's going to be much more difficult.

Edited by Fenix Eldritch
completely got sidetracked and forgot to add the initial part of the post.

• 5 weeks later...

Yeah, this doesn't seem to be something that is doable in SL, I have security cameras at my place but they're a RLV device that shifts your *view* to the camera rather than displaying the view on a screen.

I would love to have a few screens there, or one that cycled between cameras, but it doesn't seem to be possible to do that.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 837 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.