Firestorm voice not working Mac OS Monterey

ItHadToComeToThis

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 557 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

There is a new fix for this on the latest release of Firestorm ......

Okay, so I have a workaround that I've used on both of my M1 machines and both of my Intel machines and while it's a bit of a PITA, once you get the magic mic permission box to pop, it's permanent and you don't need to do any more workarounds.  

See if you can get this to work or if we need to add something to these instructions:

Get everything downloaded and running as you normally would.

Go to Firestorm Avatar -> Preferences -> Sound and Media -> Voice -> Uncheck enable voice

Exit firestorm

Go to mac System Preferences > Firewall > Firewall Options and click on the add button and add Firestorm-Releasex64.app

Now under the privacy tab in those same system preferences, scroll down to Accessibility

Click on the add button and add Firestorm-Releasex64.app again.

Now log into Firestorm.

Wait for things to render and settle.

Go to Avatar -> Preferences -> and click on the enable voice check box, then hit refresh.

I was able to get the mic permissions box to pop and then things work like they should.

On one machine, it didn't work the first time, so I unchecked, logged off, logged back on, let it sit a minute, tried again, and it worked the second time, so ymmv.

Good luck!

Full details of the issue can be viewed here - https://jira.firestormviewer.org/browse/FIRE-31395

Nope... Resetting the microphone permissions does nothing... FIRESTORM is not prompting the OS for mic access, it's not a problem inside the MacOS.  The workaround only appears to be working for about 25% of users according to Mac users I've spoken with.  It doesn't work for me either.  Cult Leader re-posting the workaround that doesn't work for 75% of users doesn't help.  The answer was to revert back to the prior release of Firestorm.

I've also learned that similar problems are now cropping up on windows machines.  Great QA Firestorm....

If the fixes are not working then please do take the time to update the FS JIRA - otherwise the developers will never know.

The issue is (as far as I am aware) caused by Apple tightening up on access to devices like the mic so that code which is not signed can no longer access that - which is why the pop up never appears. Adding in the app manually to the accessibility option instructs the OS that it can bypass those restrictions normally in place and it will generate the prompt but this may take a couple of attempts. So it all depends upon which version of MacOS your straw poll of Mac users were running on (in addition to which architecture).

It makes perfect sense not to allow unsigned code to access things like the mic and camera - who wants an app to potentially spy upon them with no way to tracing back to the actual culprit. I am sure that when FS stopped singing the app (due to costs) they did not envisage these changes that Apple would make to unsigned apps and device access.

Please, if this is not working then rather than posting here - take it to the FS JIRA so it can actually get looked at and worked on for you.

Edited by Colt Leeder
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Colt Leeder said:

If the fixes are not working then please do take the time to update the FS JIRA - otherwise the developers will never know.

The issue is (as far as I am aware) caused by Apple tightening up on access to devices like the mic so that code which is not signed can no longer access that - which is why the pop up never appears. Adding in the app manually to the accessibility option instructs the OS that it can bypass those restrictions normally in place and it will generate the prompt but this may take a couple of attempts. So it all depends upon which version of MacOS your straw poll of Mac users were running on (in addition to which architecture).

It makes perfect sense not to allow unsigned code to access things like the mic and camera - who wants an app to potentially spy upon them with no way to tracing back to the actual culprit. I am sure that when FS stopped singing the app (due to costs) they did not envisage these changes that Apple would make to unsigned apps and device access.

Please, if this is not working then rather than posting here - take it to the FS JIRA so it can actually get looked at and worked on for you.

The only solution is to sign the code that wants to use the microphone as I have previously outlined, and is done in my viewer and the SecondLife official viewer.

The only reason why the terminal workaround might work for some is that if you install the developer tools, you can exempt processes started from Terminal from restrictions. Hence the viewer, if started from Terminal, might get temporary access to the microphone. However, the SLPlugin process has a tendency to crash and get automatically restarted while the viewer is running, and will lose access to the microphone because of this. 

Generally you don't want users to have to install the developer tools for them to be able to run your application, and you also don't want to encourage activity that bypass system security. 

Edited by Gavin Hird

I posted another update to the preview viewer with more optimizations applied in addition to functional updates and fixes. Just replace previous versions with the one from the DMG.

The preview is both signed and notarized with my Apple Developer ID. Minimum system requirement is macOS 10.14 (Mojave).

There is also an identical Windows 64-bit build, but I have not uploaded it anywhere yet. Also it is not signed. Let me know if anyone is interested in testing it.

Edited by Gavin Hird

I posted yet another update to the preview viewer (build 48712) with more optimizations applied in addition to functional updates and fixes, including FMODStudio 02.02.06. Just replace previous versions with the one from the DMG.

The preview is both signed and notarized with my Apple Developer ID. Minimum system requirement is macOS 10.14 (Mojave).

• Like 1

On 4/9/2022 at 1:33 AM, Gavin Hird said:

I posted yet another update to the preview viewer (build 48712) with more optimizations applied in addition to functional updates and fixes, including FMODStudio 02.02.06. Just replace previous versions with the one from the DMG.

The preview is both signed and notarized with my Apple Developer ID. Minimum system requirement is macOS 10.14 (Mojave).

Thank you for this Gavin. Very appreciated.

None of the suggestions posted above worked for me so I installed the official SL viewer which was able to access the mic and let me voice chat. After logging out, I tried FS again and it asked for permission to use the mic and now voice is working! No idea why it worked but it works and that's all that matters. YMMV 

I posted yet another update to the preview viewer (build 48762) with more optimizations applied in addition to functional updates, fixes and a couple removals. This build will reset the graphics settings for the viewer on first run. Please reapply your settings and they should stick. Replace previous versions with the one from the DMG.

I have also posted a build 48762 of the 64-bit Windows version which has been verified to run on Windows 10 and 11. It is feature and code identical to the macOS version, except for platform differences. It is not signed, so Windows will resist your installing it. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/15/2022 at 9:17 AM, Gavin Hird said:

I posted yet another update to the preview viewer (build 48762) with more optimizations applied in addition to functional updates, fixes and a couple removals. This build will reset the graphics settings for the viewer on first run. Please reapply your settings and they should stick. Replace previous versions with the one from the DMG.

I have also posted a build 48762 of the 64-bit Windows version which has been verified to run on Windows 10 and 11. It is feature and code identical to the macOS version, except for platform differences. It is not signed, so Windows will resist your installing it. 

There are new builds available for testing for both macOS and 64-bit Windows available for download. (just hit the download button and install over the older version).

These builds have the functionality for MFA, some optimizations for rigged mesh from the upcoming Performance viewer, and for the macOS version some improvements to the renderer that  seems to be extra favorable when running the viewer on Apple Silicon. (all versions have performance improvements). In addition there are cleanup of features.

• 6 months later...
21 hours ago, AmeliaW25 said:

I still can't get my voice to work on my MacBook for firestorm. is this still an issue for all Mac users? 

Open terminal and type

tccutil reset Microphone

The next time you start Firestorm it should ask you for permission use of the Mac microphone. Make sure you allow, if not the viewer will deactivate voice support. The SL viewer will also ask you for permission again, as will other apps that needs use the microphone.

If that does not work, you can try my viewer builds that can be downloaded at here.

Edited by Gavin Hird

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 557 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.