Password Verification For Linden Purchases Needs Update!

Xavi Danick

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4720 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

As convenient as it has been in the past i have started to value my security over ease-of-use more lately and noticed something I didn't find very safe anymore.

Say for example someone SOMEHOW gets your login details for your account, by simply clicking the in-game linden purchase button all they have to do is type in an amount, press ok, and then my credit card is charged with no other form of verification.

My suggestion is that liden lab introduce an optional system where ALL users can choose to incorporate a SECONDARY password when anything is going to be charged from their credit cards/bank accounts. So if you were to buy linden in game, or via secondlife.com you would get a dialog window asking you to verify your purchase using said SECONDARY password that is COMPLETELY different from your login password for secondlife.com/ in world.

Its not something that would be complicated to implicate, and no one would have to re-verify their payment details, it would just be an extra option for users who wished to use it. I know many people who would love that added piece of mind that someone cant just get access to their account then wreck havic with their payment plan.

Opinions anyone?

Welcome to the forum Xavi.

If LL did implement this sort of system, I fail to see why they'd make it optional. If there is really a need for this type of extra protection, then shouldn't everyone be required to make use of it? And if by chance someone gets your password to sign into SL, why couldn't they get your $L purchasing password as well? Seems to me, anyone that would go through the trouble of getting one will go through the trouble of getting the other.

Honestly, I've never had an issue and have never heard of someone having had an issue who hasn't done it to themself by sharing their password. Sure it could happened, but does it happened enough to justify the time and trouble of changing the system? I don't see enough real added benefit to offset the inconvenience to LL or the residents that would now have to remember yet another password.

...Dres

If such a system were put in place, I think many - perhaps most - would simply use their account password as the password for buying Lindens. It would also add another layer of required actions which may not be looked at in a positive light.

Perhaps an email notification every time L$ are bought or sold would be enough to know whether something is not how it should and some action is necessary? (I forget; Do we get notified when we buy or sell L$?)

- Luc -

lol. Thank you Valerie! I guess I'm not paying too much attention to all the email notifications I get (unless they come from the community) and just delete them. :matte-motes-silly:

What I'm thinking is that the notifications should be enough. If someone buys L$ on someones account, a notification will be sent out, and both LL and the CC company/PayPal can be notified.

- Luc -

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4720 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.