Secondlife and copyright

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 978 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

1 hour ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

People have been offering photography services in SL for well over 15 years. 

The problem here is, the photog is copyrighting the image not the building or one of Charlotte's already copyrighted houses. Which renders Charlotte's argument moot.

SL doesn't have photography (technically)- you are taking a screenshot of a 3d Model displayed in a virtual world (i.e. you are not out on the street taking a photograph using a camera of a physical building where you 100pct have copyright.  Ha don't hate me just want to explain I see it differently based on concept of artist's copyright for digital assets they create.

I truly get what you are saying as honestly 99.9% of people aren't going to have any issue with this.

The question here (in my mind haha!)  is really related to if you take a screenshot of "SL" assets and create a RL derivative product "artwork on a mug" and sell that commercially.  Do you need to have agreement from the asset owners for the subsequent commercial activity ?  That's why the policy I quoted above does mention intellectual property and to obtain permission to use the content.... which confuses everybody as the rest of the policy as Rowan quoted gives a different impression.

I do have the right if somebody did not obtain my permission and it was one of my registered copyright assets, to seek damages for commercial RL projects that profit from my copyright.  

For avoidance of doubt 99.99% of creators in SL, I am pretty sure aren't going to be "that person" (me included).  My advice was just get permission if it was third party assets (the OP wanted to make their own and will be fine with that approach, as the rest of the policy covers them being able to take screenshots of their own work and do what they please!).

Perhaps it's a niche as also I suspect most of SL creators do not register their copyright in the US (they still have it, but registering it gives you ability to seek damages too).

12 hours ago, Charlotte Bartlett said:

Also from the site: http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Linden_Lab_Official:Snapshot_and_machinima_policy

If the content that you capture is subject to any trademark, service mark, trade dress, publicity rights, or other intellectual property or proprietary rights, you must obtain the necessary licenses and permissions to use the content, and you use it at your own risk.“

Edited by Charlotte Bartlett

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 978 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.