Sculptie wierdnesses

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4709 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Yesterday a friend showed me a build she was working on, and complained that the sculpted door frames she was using wouldn't rez properly for people.   I said they looked perfectly OK to me in V 2.6, and she showed me a picture of how they looked in Phoenix -- a big unrezzed sculptie.   I logged in an alt using Phoenix and it looked the same to her -- big unrezzed oval.. so OK and not OK on the same machine, depending on which viewer window I was looking at.  

Then, to see what happened, I logged my alt in using both Firestorm and Singularity, and then the doorframe just wasn't there for her.. there was a gap between the door and the walls, which wasn't filled with anything that "Highlight Transparent" showed and, when my alt inspected it using Edit Linked Parts, she couldn't find anything there either.

Can anyone cast any light on the mystery?  I'm wondering if it's something to do with the different jpeg2000 libraries that the different viewers apparently use, but that's just going on a hint picked up in a discussion about something wholly different.

Thanks.  I'll double-check the LOD I have set with the various viewers, though unless I've forgotten to increase it from the default in V2.6 it should be 3 or 4 in all of them.   But I'm a bit surprised that I should need to alter the LOD to see something large and comparatively simple like a door frame when I'm standing right in front of it.

There is an interesting effect that can happen with LOD on some sculpties with oblong maps. If the sculpty uses zero-area faces to hide the bits connecting separate solid pieces, a technique often used for woodwork, with some maps, the LOD change can end up with nothing there but the invisible lines. Then the V2 code replaces the sculpty with a default sphere placeholder. With the dimensions of a doorframe, this would look like a flattened oval. Now it is possible that some TPVs don't do the placeholder substitution. In that case, the sculpty would just become invisible. This is especially likely with some oblong maps, such as a 8 x 512 map, where the LOD steps subsample 1/4 vertices in one dimension instead of 1/2 in both. This is easily overlooked. However, none of that would seem explain your observations if you are looking at the high LOD sculpty. 

If this is the problem, you might get a partial solution by moving the whole map down by 2 or 4 pixels and putting the rows shifted off  the bottom back at the top. You can do that in a bitmap editor such as GIMP or photoshop. It's not going to be a perfect solution though.

Maybe different LOD settings, different treatment of incomplete downloads? The simpler explanation is that the sphere/oval is just the unloaded map placeholder that we are all familiar with. I think it is also true that the TPVs don't use the same jpeg2000 library. That could make a difference. There is (or at least there used to be) a way to temporarily make the official viewer use the open source jpeg library instead, you just rename  llkdu.dll (to llkdu.dlo or something) in the second life program directory and it then uses openjpeg.dll instead. You could try that and see if it makes a difference. Rename it back again afterwards! (Of course you need to restart the viewer between renamings).

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4709 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.