SL keeps crashing.

nat1211

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4761 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Hi, I'm new to SL but I am only able to play for a few minutes and then SL freezes and crashes. I'm using windows XP with internet explorer. Please help.

Browser used for last vist : Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 5.1; Trident/4.0; GTB7.0; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.0.4506.2152)

Hi Bee no, no message it just stops, freezes and I have to close SL

Hi Bee followed your link and came up with this

Second Life 2.7.1 (231775) Jun  2 2011 14:48:57 (Second Life Beta Viewer)
Release Notes

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU     T7500  @ 2.20GHz (2194.5 MHz)
Memory: 2046 MB
OS Version: Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 3 (Build 2600) compatibility mode. real ver: 6.0 (Build 2900)
Graphics Card Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
Graphics Card: Quadro NVS 140M/PCI/SSE2

Windows Graphics Driver Version: 6.14.0011.0119
OpenGL Version: 2.1.1

libcurl Version: libcurl/7.21.1 OpenSSL/0.9.8q zlib/1.2.5 c-ares/1.7.1
J2C Decoder Version: ܯ9|?9

Hi luc, laptop, wireless wifi. I have had problems with my firewall. Could they be connected?

20 answers to this question

Oh thanks for the answer. Put I don't no what my config is. I'm using the latest SL viewer as I only downloaded it yesterday. Sorry for the lack of info. I will see if I can find out more and get back to you. Thanks

in addition to what valerie said - do you get any error messages when you crash and if so what do they say?

add info to your post using options > edit.

eta: ah i see now you have already posted about this issue, a little here and a little there. gotta love that =) it would help us help you by having only one thread.

your browser has nothing to do with why your viewer is crashing.

to get your system specs - (in your viewer) go to help > about second life

here's a torley video on how to do it in viewer 2, but the approach is pretty similar in other viewers: http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/System_info

as soon as valerie and luc stop their partying i am sure they will have more useful info to add :matte-motes-evil-invert: :D

Hi my specs are :

Second Life 2.7.1 (231775) Jun 2 2011 14:48:57 (Second Life Beta Viewer)

Release Notes

CPU: Intel® Core2 Duo CPU T7500 @ 2.20GHz (2194.5 MHz)

Memory: 2046 MB

OS Version: Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 3 (Build 2600) compatibility mode. real ver: 6.0 (Build 2900)

Graphics Card Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation

Graphics Card: Quadro NVS 140M/PCI/SSE2

Windows Graphics Driver Version: 6.14.0011.0119

OpenGL Version: 2.1.1

libcurl Version: libcurl/7.21.1 OpenSSL/0.9.8q zlib/1.2.5 c-ares/1.7.1

J2C Decoder Version: ܯ9|?9

sorry to be a pain but its very annoying when SL just keeps crashing. In between my 1st to threads I've worked out the problem login in was a firewall problem. Its all very confusing trying to work out why I cant play for more than a few minutes. It could be something as simple as my graphic card over heating as one of you said in reply to someone else with a similar problem. I've just managed to stay on for a lot longer the last time I used SL. When the fan started I made sure I gave my laptop as much ventilation as pos and it seems to have worked, so far. So finger crossed. We all have to start somewhere and I've had a lot of problems starting lol! Now I've put a new outfit on and I've gone bold!!! any ideas? Save a drink for me there's far too many for the three of you!..Natalie x

If you had firewall issues, I would think they would show in other ways than crashing the viewer. I'm not sure,though, so if you have the chance, try to disable (or bypass) the firewall.

I think perhaps it is more likely that the wireless network is causing problems, or that the portable is overheating. I don't know much about the graphics card in your pc, so I wouldn't know if that is an issue.

I suggest that yuo try to connect to the internet using a cable first to see if that makes a difference. Drops in the connection often result in being logged out, not crashing, so I'm not sure of this.

Otherwise I would recommend trying to reduce the graphics in SL to a lower setting, which will reduce the load on the graphics card, thus reduce the heat produced. I think maybe overheating has a tendency to take down the whole pc, not just the viewer, but it is worth checking.

As you see, I'm not really sure about any of this, but if nothing else, if it does not help, you have eliminated a couple of possible causes for issues.

- Luc -

@ Nat, Bald is a good look on some people hehe :D

If you drag a folder onto your avatar, it removes everything you had on and adds everything in the folder. If you don`t want that to happen, right click the items in the folder and either "wear" instead of a item you currently have in the same place or "add" to wear the old and new item in same place.

You can also save complete outfits including your hair, skin, shape and all huds and clothes and these will go to your Outfits folder. These you can drag onto your avatar with no problems as they are a complete package.

@Nat. I guess I didn't see your comment before now, so I probably repeated what you have already said in my previous reply. Please help yourself to one (or more) of the mojitos. That'll grow you some new hair, I'm sure. :D

Glad things seem to go better, but come back here if you have more issues. If you think heat is the issue, perhaps investing in a cooling stand is wise. I'm sure you can pick one up in any store that sell computer equipment.

Good luck!

- Luc -

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4761 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.