Confused about paying rent for land owned

Remi Alpha

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 991 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I have seen some parcels for sale, which can be bought seemingly cheaply (only 99L$) via the About Land button which is then showing a Buy Land button

But in the parcel (which I have not yet bought) there's a vendor's panel saying that there is rent to pay.

I was under the impression that after buying a parcel it is completely mine and I just have to pay tier to Linden Lab for the Square Metres I own. 

Does the whole payment process work differently for private regions not attached to the mainland? 

If they are rented then why do they have the 'Buy' button as well?

(Maybe I'm just being dumb but I find it confusing)

You pay tier directly to Linden Lab if you buy a mainland parcel.

What you are describing is buying a parcel in a privately owned region. The owner of said region pays tier to LL and you pay rent to the owner because of it.

• Thanks 1

OK thanks, that makes sense. It just seems confusing that you have the same 'Buy' button even though you are effectively renting. And I guess even though you bought it they can forcibly take it back off you any time right?

Also if I am not mistaken it seems that you pay tier to the region owner out of your L$ balance, instead of paying Linden Lab in $US as part of your monthly payments on your SL account.

So I would not need a premium account for buying an Estate parcel?

Edited by Rem Voxel

Yes they can forcibly take it back anytime they so please which is why I suggest you rent from reputable, long standing land lords.

Tier on a private region is indeed generally paid for with Linden however several of the big landlords als offer direct payment through paypal as well, they usually have that info in their estate agency office/online website.

And you are correct, you do not need to be premium to rent land on a private estate.

• Thanks 1

You're very welcome, if you have any more questions feel free to ask away!

Oh and one more thing about private regions, unlike mainland those do come with a covenant so be sure to read that before renting to make sure you follow their rules.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 991 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.