Applying a media texture with transparencies to a prim does not keep the transparent parts

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1041 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi to all!

My problem is a follows: I have a png file with transparent parts, and also I have it as texture. 
If I use it as texture all works perfect:

image.thumb.png.4a6d03dd0f4f81388653b40faee25a6e.png 

As you can see, the shield is showed, and the transparent parts are transparent. PERFECT.

But when I try to use it from an external media, it does not work:

image.thumb.png.3da21a37f1f95c852c074f6cfbd80d95.png

As you see, in this case, the background is not transparent, it appears as solid black.

Of course, I have double checked that my file in cloudinary is a png with transparencies:

image.png.a045bec951bd8fbd0b8f4d1610683b07.png

Is there any way (through the GUI or through scripting) to make the transparent parts transparent?

Thank you very much in advance.

12 hours ago, petMelite said:

Is there any way (through the GUI or through scripting) to make the transparent parts transparent?

A Media on a Prim is simply a web browser window and as I'm sure you know, you can't make a window in your browser transparent.

Btw, I'm curious about why you want to do this. As far as I can see, the only advantage to using MOP for a single texture is to save the 10 L$ upload fee and that isn't relevant if you've already uploaded the image.

Thank you for your answer, ChinRey.

The reason was the following: for this example, I used a very simple scenario, a basic cube and a sample image.

In the real project, the image will change very often. With MOP, this is not only free, it is also very easy. 
Even from devices and places where I can not run Firestorm nor log in Second Life, I just need to log in Cloudinary and replace the image.
Very easy even if I am not at home.
Finally, with MOP I can do that the image change at regular intervals or at a specified date/times through scripting.

Without MOP, I need to pay L$10 each time and also I need to log in Second Life to perform manually the change.

However I understand that what I want is not possible. I will look for an alternative approach then, perhaps dropping the nice transparency effects completely.

Again thank you very much.

26 minutes ago, petMelite said:

Even from devices and places where I can not run Firestorm nor log in Second Life, I just need to log in Cloudinary and replace the image.

Yes, that makes sense. But it means people will have to click on the MOP controls every time they visit if they want to see the image. Unless they have MOP autoplay enabled of course but I can't imagine there are many who do.

43 minutes ago, petMelite said:

Without MOP, I need to pay L$10 each time and also I need to log in Second Life to perform manually the change.

A timed texture changer is easy enough to script in lsl but yes, if there are lots of textures, the upload fee may be a serious problem.

You can potentially reduce the number of uploads by consolidating several smaller textures into a larger one. A script could then be employed to automatically (or on command) change the repeats/offsets of the prim's face to show the desired image like ChinRey suggests.

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1041 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.