Color changer sliders for lights?

Finite

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1171 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Possible, yes. practical, maybe not. because there's no LSL provided api for slider bars, you'd need to program something yourself. Maybe I'm not buying the latest and greatest stuff, but all of the color slider huds I've seen are a bit finicky and unintuitive in my opinion, and I don't know if I would want to attach and detach a HUD just to change the color of some lights. that being said, a very basic color picker HUD isn't that hard to slap together, if you have those fancy gradient textures.

23 minutes ago, Quistessa said:

Possible, yes. practical, maybe not. because there's no LSL provided api for slider bars, you'd need to program something yourself. Maybe I'm not buying the latest and greatest stuff, but all of the color slider huds I've seen are a bit finicky and unintuitive in my opinion, and I don't know if I would want to attach and detach a HUD just to change the color of some lights. that being said, a very basic color picker HUD isn't that hard to slap together, if you have those fancy gradient textures.

I made a light that I use for taking photos. I manually edit the light colors using the in-game edit menu. I thought it would be nice and convenient to have a hud that would be able to manage this without the need of selecting the object over and over again every time I want to make an adjustment. I saw full perm color changer huds in the MP but they were only for the texture color box. I'm just asking if it is possible or not to apply these same parameters to the color box in the light feature before I go nagging a scripter to write it for me.

I understand the (in)practical nature of current sliders in huds. They tend to be slow and not very instant. But in order for me to tell the object what I want it to do currently I have to A) zoom out, select object and edit while in the process of taking a picture (I don't want to have to reset my camera every time). Or B) Use 2 avies with one being the "model and camera" and the second managing the light. Both to me are more impractical than dealing with a fidgety hud.

Edited by Finite

A direct answer is yes. if you had a color changing hud with full perms on the script, it would be rather trivial to make it change the point light color rather than the texture color. When you change the light color, via script, you also have to change all of the other light properties (llslppf([ PRIM_POINT_LIGHT, integer boolean, vector color, float intensity, float radius, float falloff ] )at the same time, so it might be useful to have those integrated into the hud as well.

Edit: to be more precise, you would only actually need to change the script you put in the receiving prim (the light bulb), assuming you knew the channel the HUD was sending commands on.

Edited by Quistessa
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Quistessa said:

A direct answer is yes. if you had a color changing hud with full perms on the script, it would be rather trivial to make it change the point light color rather than the texture color. When you change the light color, via script, you also have to change all of the other light properties (llslppf([ PRIM_POINT_LIGHT, integer boolean, vector color, float intensity, float radius, float falloff ] )at the same time, so it might be useful to have those integrated into the hud as well.

Edit: to be more precise, you would only actually need to change the script you put in the receiving prim (the light bulb), assuming you knew the channel the HUD was sending commands on.

Thank you. I have a full perm texture color changer but it's a menu pop up. Trying to find one that does something similar to what I'm looking for. I can't write my own but I can tinker xD. At least with the simpler scripts.

You probably just need to change something that looks sort of like llSetLinkPrimitiveParamsFast(LinkNumber,[PRIM_COLOR,FaceNumber,Color,Alpha]); to llSetLinkPrimitiveParamsFast(LinkNumber,[PRIM_POINT_LIGHT,TRUE,Color,Intensity,Radius,Falloff]); putting in some values for Intensity, Radius and Falloff. Searching your code for 'PRIM_COLOR' would probably point you to the line you need to change.

• Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1171 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.