How do I price my custom work?

Frawmusl

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4713 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I really stink at pricing things that I build, How should I go about pricing my creations?

Such as :
A avatar wants me to build a longboard, and it will take a good deal of work. What would you estimate a longboard (Skate-type) Custom made would be?

1000-2000 L Or?

Please post pricing tips for me to read through, Or suggestions on how to learn to! Thank you!!

Getting paid enough to continue a labor of love is sometimes reward enough. Profit is an entirely separate venture. 

If you have the desire and time to search skateboards currently being sold you could find the going rate. If you build a variety of objects you could consider charging a flat rate or hourly fee.

Custom work is challenge when the customer doesn't really know what they want. You should begin to develop a Policy and list it in your Profile or Business Group.

A Notecard could be used as a service request form. The form should ask as many questions about the item or build the customer is requesting. This method will help weed out any dreamers or conversationalist.

Some important questions are: total prim count of completed item, is the item intended for resale or private use, how much time is given to complete the project, can the Plot if a building be viewed prior to construction, shapes, sizes, colors.

A Residents asked me to build a lighthouse, It was clear after discussing it with her that she didn't know what she wanted. I made 5 lighthouses and let her pick. You may consider providing that option.

I have several connected projects that are in states of perpetual development and they might never be finished; avoid customers like that.

List the hours you are online for work in your Profile, Residents who need help often need it now. An online indicator somewhere Inworld is helpful or an Open enrollment group. Some custom work is fun while most is just work. Few homes provide for garages, driveways, sidewalks, pools, patios. The Service industry in SL should be larger than it is.  

As it is nearly impossible to make what you would in RL for most residents, on custom work you need to consider a couple of things.

1. Anything you do these days will not make you money if you are doing one off custom work. You do it for fun or...

2. You agree that when you make their custom product, that you will also be selling this for yourself to others as you own the IP.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4713 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.