Gömböc mesh test on Second Life Engine

chrixbed

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1329 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

As a geek moment, I did a test using a Gömböc mesh shape. A Gömböc is a fascinating mathematical object that is a convex three-dimensional homogeneous body that when resting on a flat surface has just one stable and one unstable point of equilibrium. 

I did this object out of curiosity to see how Second Life Game Engine can handle that type of physique. 

You can try it too if you want: https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/Gomboc/20643635

Important: This is not my creation, you can find the original 3D STL file source at this link:
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:523643

• Like 3

7 hours ago, chrixbed said:

As a geek moment, I did a test using a Gömböc mesh shape. A Gömböc is a fascinating mathematical object that is a convex three-dimensional homogeneous body that when resting on a flat surface has just one stable and one unstable point of equilibrium. 

Fascinating - I remember, I saw it on an episode of BBC's QI and was amazed by, this is how natures "made" the turtle shield. See also Wikipeda on Gömböc

Thank you for sharing your creation @chrixbed

Edited by Rachel1206
Updated link to QI video
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Rachel1206 said:

Fascinating - I remember, I saw it on an episode of BBC's QI and was amazed by, this is how natures "made" the turtle shield. See also Wikipeda on Gömböc

Thank you for sharing your creation @chrixbed

Unfortunately, that video is blocked for me. Not sure if it was a QI clip or not, but love the show. I was a little unsure of how the transition from Stephen Fry to Sandi Toksvig would go, but I like her every bit as much.

I only recently heard about Gomboc from an action lab video.

3 hours ago, Phate Shepherd said:

Unfortunately, that video is blocked for me. Not sure if it was a QI clip or not, but love the show. I was a little unsure of how the transition from Stephen Fry to Sandi Toksvig would go, but I like her every bit as much.

I only recently heard about Gomboc from an action lab video.

Updated the video link (full episode of QI XL Series F Episode 8 Fashion, 2009-02-12). And yes Sandi Toksvig does it well. Stephen Fry was amazing, hard to follow, but I find she does it well.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1329 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.