Dongle

Rambo Tendandes

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4734 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Hello can any one tell me how much data/download second life uses if I use a Dongle on my pc.lets say a £15 contract.how long this would last.my current situation is at work have now updated there internet firewall with websence and I can no longer log on at work which is a pain.hense using a Dongle but worried it will be eaten reference data usage

2 answers to this question

How much bandwith you use depends on what you're doing in Second Life. If you're constantly moving around loading new textures all the time, you'll use considerably more than staying in one location. Voice and music will eat bandwith. Keep your draw distance down low at all times. At a rough guess, anywhere from 150 to 200 MB an hour so between 1GB and 2GB over an 8-hour period.

I am assuming a Dongle is a wireless internet connection that you pay by the Megabyte?  If so, you'll very quickly go broke using it for SL -- every new place you go will have to download textures to your cache.  Every person you meet, same thing.  If you have music on, you eat one megabit in only 7.8 seconds of listening - a Megabyte a minute.  Turn on voice and it's the same.  Watch a video?  Better have 5 figures open on your credit card!

Cell networks are abyssmal for SL for a number of reasons.  Cost is just one -- laggy and high ping is another.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4734 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.