Preview Aspect Ratio - Image Uploads in SL

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1304 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi again! I had looked high and low for info on changing the aspect ratio for already uploaded images, or even assigning a certain ratio to images that I was in the middle of uploading. I didn't find any concise, direct data, so I figured it was time for another video!

There is probably so much more I could touch on, but I really just wanted to answer quickly, my oldest curiosity of this one, simple tool in SL. Please feel free to share any feedback on this or let me know if you have any questions!

• Like 1

It is difficult to explain how to make a 4:3 ratio image in an image system limited to powers of 2 dimensions. (JPG2000)

A 4:3 image without adjustment is 1024x768. But, the only up loadable sizes near that are 1024x512 and 1024x1024. The only way to get the image to look right inside SL is to stretch the image from 1024x768 to 1024x1024 in Photoshop. Then upload the image. When placed on a 1x1m cube face the image will look stretched. Changing the cube dimensions to 1x0.768m to squish the image will display the image at the proper ratio and remove the stretched look.

Other ratios work the same way.

The SL wiki explains ratios and max sizes for all the images used in SL. They just aren't very good at explaining how to fit those images into the JPG2000 format.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1304 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.