Help-me My mesh doesn't get a good quality Cinema 4D

Holmstem Kozlov

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1414 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I don't use Octane - so can't really help on that front.

But:

a - I can't see any lighting or environment / HDRI in your scene - so how are you lighting the glasses?

b - what do your UV Maps look like (good UV unwraps are essential for texture quality).

c - I can't see the full scene so can you screenshot (i) your bake texture tag and what settings you have; and (ii) your rendering settings are that you bake against for both GI and AO and the usual sample settings.

d - I am not sure how Octane materials bake, but I would recommend if you are just starting going back to basics and bake using the native C4D renderer.  *note I have been waiting for the Corona Renderer to support baking for C4D - but that's off topic.

Good baking in C4D tends to be a balance of (a) Sample settings (material and rendering) (b) Lighting (c) UV Maps (d) Material quality.

Personally, for something like glasses I would unwrap in C4D and use Substance Painter for the materials/bakes versus Octane - but that's just my workflow. 

In summary:

Model the Item
Unwrap the Item
Apply C4D Materials
Light the Scene
Set Rendering Settings

Baking Workflow:
Add Bake Tag to each Model (4096 x 4096, Pixel Border 1, Continue UVs (on), Format (I use TGA) Bake Surface Color and AO.   Note supersampling can be selected but will slow it down a lot - so try to get better quality using Rendering versus the tag).
Hit Bake (select all bakes together if you want to go and leave it running).
Attach final texture to the color channel of a basic material assigned to the model*

*I  use PS to reduce the baked textures down to the final size - for glasses I wouldn't want to see anything more than 256 x 256 but you can experiment (never use 1024 x 1024 for small items).   I also make overlay AO into the color bake (use AO as a multiple layer) - save it.   Upload the final .tga material to the color channel in C4D and upload.  You can speed it up AO doesn't need to be baked at 4096 - you can bake it at the 1024 size then lower it also in PS.

Hence why Substance Painter is far quicker as a baking workflow than the above imho.   It will do this in minutes as you can export the textures now from the program.

Edited by Charlotte Bartlett

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1414 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.