Homestead or full sim

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1428 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi everyone,i am so new to purchasing land and wonder if its worth it...If i bought a Homestead from someone that would mean that i pay the asking price but then would have to pay LL monthly? and also since i would purchase from someone does that mean i need to own a full sim first? what would be more worth it a full sim at 20000 LI or a homestead at 5000? This whole thing is so confusing to me,i am hoping to eventually purchase a sim for when i decide to ever open an inworld store in the future and thought since its a big sim i could also put my house along with a few others on that sim so i could save on the extra fees of extra tiers or renting...any suggestions or advise would be appreciated being so new and lost with all of this,i know many have probably asked similar questions but i haven't went through all the posts to see what everyones take on it was...Thank you in advance :)

Hiya!

So when you buy a full sim or homestead from another user via these forums, it is transferred from that user, to you, by Linden Labs. After which you will be required to pay a monthly tier for it directly to LL, the date of when it's due each month will depend on when the previous owner originally bought the sim.

You are correct in that to own a homestead you first need to own a full sim. LL doesn't allow owning a homestead on it's own.

As for which is more worth it, that comes entirely down to your use of the land. I would recommend renting a homestead or a full sim first to see which is a better fit for your needs prim wise. I can give my land history as a guide, I started out my store on a Mainland parcel until I had regular events i was in, before moving to share a sim with some other stores. It was around the 2yr mark that I outgrew the roughly 1/4 sim my store was taking up, before finally moving to my own sim. My store is coming up to 4 years old now, home and decor, and is using just over half the prims of my 20k sim.

At the moment LL has run out of server space to directly sell new regions, which means the demand for user sold sims is high, as such the prices are very inflated. If you don't absolutely need land right now, it is a bad time to buy. Through LL, for a full sim, the cost is normally $349, which includes the first month of tier ($229), so your buy cost is effectively $120. In comparison, right now, people are charging upwards of $600 for a regular full sim, with varying dates as to when you next pay tier to LL.

There are many places that rent homesteads and full sims so you can get a feel for what you need, and for less initial overhead when you are undecided. Once you do have a store, it's wise not to move too many times, or people will have difficulty finding you from old LMs. Until you do decide to open a store though, that needs a large amount of space and prims, renting and flexibility is a great way to go.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1428 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.