Club Ownership and Hiring DJs

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1431 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello all! After many years of harboring the desire to do so, I have finally started building a small goth club that I am hoping to open soon.
Years ago, I worked as a dancer and was the assistant manager of a strip club in SL for a brief period of time before it closed down, but we did not use DJs in the club and this is where I feel like my experience is lacking.
For my club I am hoping to hire DJs as independent contractors to work one event a week. I have a few questions in regard to being a club owner and club operation:

1. Do most DJs for hire use their own DJ booth or is this something I should invest in for my club? The same question applies to the DJ tip jar? Would you say most have their own that they use or should I have one in my club as will for the dancers I hire?
2.  Aside from basic questions like scheduling, making sure the DJ can off the music genres I'm looking for, if they take requests, if they can host, pay expectations, etc. is there anything else you would recommend I ask in my DJ application?
3. Since my club is brand spanking new, I admit I am a little intimidated to approach DJs about working events at my club because the traffic is not there yet (once I get things completely set up I plan to focus on marketing the club and hiring folks). I've read about some DJs who take advantage of new club owners and price gauge them. Any advice on how to spot red flags with potential staff?
4. Since my club is niche, how awkward do you think it would be for me to reach out to my neighbor goth clubs just to give a friendly hello? I am not looking to necessarily compete with these other, more established clubs (they are places I hang out regularly). I'm just creating my own version of something I love.

I've been reading a lot of threads in regard to club ownership and understand that doing so is a money pit. I'm not looking to make a profit off my club; I just want to create a unique space that I can share with others, listen to rad tunes, and dance. I'm a very visual person and my club has a very specific look/atmosphere that I hope people will find unique. 

Thank you so much!

2 hours ago, Kalixte said:

1. Do most DJs for hire use their own DJ booth or is this something I should invest in for my club?

Most clubs use a platform slightly elevated higher than the main dance area. Said DJ usually stands and does not actually send his or her avatar DJing (or DJaning). If you would like a booth as part of your overall club vibe, yes, invest. 

“The same question applies to the DJ tip jar? Would you say most have their own that they use or should I have one in my club as will for the dancers I hire?“

This depends on your own policy, and again, the vibes you want to give off - if everything should match, will you take a portion of the tips, etc. 

“Aside from basic questions like scheduling, making sure the DJ can off the music genres I'm looking for, if they take requests, if they can host, pay expectations, etc. is there anything else you would recommend I ask in my DJ application?“

“Etc” covers quite a bit. Consider if you will use your own club stream or if you’ll require DJs to pay for their own. Are voiceovers important to you? 

“I've read about some DJs who take advantage of new club owners and price gauge them. Any advice on how to spot red flags with potential staff?”

I don’t fully understand this query, since it doesn’t seem like you’ll be hiring live singers. Set a standard salary? Or do tips only? 

“Since my club is niche, how awkward do you think it would be for me to reach out to my neighbor goth clubs just to give a friendly hello?”

I think this depends on your personality, social skills, and overall grasping definition of what is “awkward.” As an introvert, I wouldn’t. But then again - I likely wouldn’t be opening up a club either, so take that with a grain of salt. 

“I'm not looking to make a profit off my club; I just want to create a unique”

With clubs being dime-a-dozen in SL, unique is hard to come by, if not impossible. However, if you go into it understanding that it is likely more trouble than it may be worth it, the better off you’ll be! Best wishes! 

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1431 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.