can someone please ELI5 my understanding of designing clothes?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1439 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

So i watched a TON of you tube videos, and have a question about making clothes in photoshop...

i can buy the uv maps, shadow mapds, and layered psd file for the garment im attempting to edit. It the process as simple as creating a pattern overlay of my choosing to the garment pattern, saving that as a new file, and then importing it into sl? sorry if this is extremely simple, im trying my best to learn as we go. thank you!!!

Two types of clothing --- layers (now BOM for mesh bodies) and mesh clothing.   Old fashioned  -- and now in vogue again -- layers  can either have a texture added to the layers tab in your graphics program using "multiply" (typically) OR you can actually draw on the file to make more custom textures.

With mesh "template" (ready-made clothing) you get some UV and ambient maps and you do pretty much the same type of thing and then TEXTURE the mesh object (dress, top, lingerie etc.) inwolrd.  

There used to be a fair amount of free template files out and about and possibly in the Marketplace still that you could practice on.  You can use the beta grid (Aditi) to upload and test without paying upload fees (they are returned in money given to your on the beta grid). If you are a new avatar then you will need to put in a support ticket to gain access to Aditi.

Hope that helps some. Good luck. 

• Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1439 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.