Why wont my IF statement work? ><

LaniFlower

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1644 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hey all, noob to LSL (although I have a little knowledge of other languages like c#).   I'm really sorry but I have such a dumb issue I simply cant fix myself and I wondered if I could ask for you wise words on this;

What I'm trying to do;

I have a prim with a simple function,#; it toggles a boolean integer value TRUE and FALSE and using a timer, spins a prim for a couple of seconds in one direction if the value is TRUE, the reverses the spin if the value is FALSE, like you would see the swing of a pendulum.  I haven't been able to make it change direction.  After spending hours going down a rabbit hole thinking my llSetTargetOmega call was dodgy, i realised its actually the control logic that is flawed.  

I then wondered whether my state handling was doing it, (the prim has an on off state toggled by touch_start) but when i removed that and just used the default state, I still have the problem. 

So here is the code snippet without any state logic and with just the control logic enabled plus a couple of debug messages so I can watch the code paths taken.  As you will see when you run it, it never reaches the code in the else statement.  I have tried two IF without ELSES, didn't work either.  

integer direction = TRUE;

{
    state_entry()
    {
        llSetText("ON", <0,1,0>, 1.0);
        llSetTimerEvent(2.0);
    }

timer()
    {

if ( direction = TRUE )
        { 
            llSay(0,"Back");
            //llTargetOmega(<0,0,-0.5>,0.5,PI);
        }        
        else
        {
            llSay(0,"Forth");
            //llTargetOmega(<0,0,0.5>,0.5,PI); 
        }

direction = !direction;
    }
}

I'm tearing my hair out here, I thought I knew how to code!! Please could someone help me see what I'm doing wrong?

Many many thanks in advance, Lisa x ♥

You need to use == instead of =. What you are actually doing is assigning the value with a single = sign instead of comparing it. It's the most common of all coding errors, not just in LSL, but through all the similar-syntax languages such as C, java, ...

I far preferred Fortran's .EQ. .NE. and so on. far less chance of this sort of error cropping up.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1644 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.