My computer turns itself off when loading SL the second time I try to log in after installing.

Victoria83

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4747 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I started playing about 6 days ago. For the first 3 days it was fine, I was using the standard SL Client from Linden Labs. Then all of a sudden I started crashing, and not just getting logged out, or crashing to the desktop, but my system completely shuts down as if the power was turned off. No 'shut down' sequence, just BLINK and it's gone.

It's not the first time I enter Second Life after downloading the client, but the second time. I thought it was a cache problem, but I uninstalled the client completely (including cache folder) and created a brand new account, reinstalled and stayed on the tutorial island. The second time I logged in I crashed again. It's not always at the same place in the login cycle, sometimes it's as soon as I log in, sometimes it's just before the avatar starts loading.

I tried the top two 3rd party clients to try to get around it, and with both it was the same thing, the second time I log in it crashes, BLINK, turned off the system.

Fans are working fine, no other game does this, heat 'shouldn't' be an issue because there is plenty of ventilation, also as far as I know my power supply is more than good enough for my system (married a computer geek and he takes care of these things).

Before it started crashing this badly it was crashing when I teleported, but that was the client disconnecting me every time I teleported. Now it's BLINK, nothing.

So, any suggestions would be appreciated since every search I've done points to a cache problem, but that should be taken care of by reinstalling with a clean cache, or at the very least by the brand new account on tutorial island.

Thanks for anything you might come up with.

4 answers to this question

I also have had this problem before. What I did was I let the computer reset for a bit then started it up, after it was on the desktop menu I went to my Security program( Norton 360) then ran the complete scan ( update, virus and spyware scan, internet explorer temporary files, windows temporary files, internet explorer history, disk optimization, registry cleanup and backup). After that was done scanning I went to Control Panel > Windows Defender > Full scan.
After I did this I ran the game program and it worked without shutting down the computer after the game is in the loading stage.
Hope this helps you.

The suggestions by Cinnamon and Foxtor are both very good and likely on track for what your problem is.  A system shutting itself down unexpectedly is very unusual and is always an indication that something major is going on in the computer.  A virus and mal-ware can be the problem but normally the problem is caused by some hardware device either failing or has failed in the computer.  Since SL is very graphic intensive it works your video card/adapter very hard......much more than almost any program commericially available to the public.......Cinnamon's suggestion to check your card is the logical first step.  SL is also extremely memory intensive and it will put a lot to stress on your RAM.......check your memory modules (one or more may be failing or has failed).  The CPU is the third device that gets a pretty good workout but if that is failing your computer would be crashing a lot more than you indicated it is........if it's failed completely, your computer would not start at all.  I don't believe your CPU is the problem.

You said you married a "geek".  Have him check both the video card and memory modules.  I'm sure you keep the inside of your computer dust free, but a good blowing out with a can of compressed air never hurts.  And  Foxtor's suggestion to scan your computer for virus/mal-ware is easy enough to do.......and not a bad thing to do anytime your computer does unexpectedly things (like shut down).

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4747 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.