How does one become a DJ

Dronejoe

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1904 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

4 answers to this question

you need music, good quality, no badly ripped youtube content
you need a license to be allowed to use the music you want to broadcast, just buying in a store isn't enough to give that specific permission

you need a DJ program with streaming option, most use SAM, VDJ or other brand
you need a stream ( rent or, if your machine is powerfull enough, set up one yourself with a server)

you need a licence ( depending on your local laws) to get permission to broadcast ( is not the same as license to use the music you bought)

you need lot of practicing and training to mix the tunes and entertain your audience....

that's about it...  :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Dronejoe said:

I thought that the audio  (speech) feature in sl  would be considered the stream in which to broadcast the music within that venue.

no the voice channel is never used for streaming to a venue in SL. It uses the soundstream thats embedded in the  "about land"  of a parcel. To be more precise, the parcel uses the webadress of a internet radio station, runned by the DJ.
The virwox voice service can't handle the quality of a mp3/flac or other compression file.

Edited by Ethan Paslong

Awesome Ethan. Simple direct and to the point. If you can elaborate a little on the streaming. What do you mean I need "a stream" and the options available. I thought that the audio  (speech) feature in sl  would be considered the stream in which to broadcast the music within that venue.

Thanks again in advance for your time and guidance.

Suggestion: Spend some time listening to good DJs that you'd like to emulate. Befriend some DJ's that you consider to be good ones you'd like to emulate and ask them to give you tips. 

There are tons and tons of lousy SL DJs out there. I've even mistaken some for automated audio streams. But good DJs are always in demand and have no trouble finding work. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1904 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.