How To Weight Data Transfer in Blender

imacrabpinch

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1745 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Can anyone point me to a place or tutorial where I can learn how to rig via data transfer in Blender? When I use avastar for pants, copy weights, and transfer weights from mesh body to garmet using the tools bar, anything around the thigh has to be manually separated...aka "stickypants". It happens with female dev kits usually. I see it happen to other people too, so its not just me. Since I prefer to weight each body (unlike some people out there), it leaves me having to go through this correction process for quite some time. 

I heard data transfer is a way to avoid this but no one ever elaborates. Any tips? Just trying to mainstream my process.Thank you

Edited by imacrabpinch

16 hours ago, imacrabpinch said:

Can anyone point me to a place or tutorial where I can learn how to rig via data transfer in Blender? When I use avastar for pants, copy weights, and transfer weights from mesh body to garmet using the tools bar, anything around the thigh has to be manually separated...aka "stickypants". It happens with female dev kits usually. I see it happen to other people too, so its not just me. Since I prefer to weight each body (unlike some people out there), it leaves me having to go through this correction process for quite some time. 

I heard data transfer is a way to avoid this but no one ever elaborates. Any tips? Just trying to mainstream my process.Thank you

I wish I knew, ive yet to dabble in that area, there should be docs for copy of weight data though.  Another thing to consider for repetitious tasks, sometimes they can be automated with a script if you're up to writing one lol.  The Avastar forums  might garner more responses to your query though im sure there are some avastar users here of course.  Good luck!  It will be interesting to hear how you progress.

• 1 month later...

Hello I do not have Avastar. But I have found this tutorial. maybe that will help you.

Please also read the first comment. As the tutorial is made with blender 2.73 and if you have the latest Blender, the final export option menu is different.

• Like 1

On 10/5/2018 at 2:48 PM, imacrabpinch said:

I'm not sure what you want. You're not gonna find a perfect solution, transfering weight gets you 50% of the way, the other 50% are up to you.

On 11/8/2018 at 10:43 AM, Kyrah Abattoir said:

I'm not sure what you want. You're not gonna find a perfect solution, transfering weight gets you 50% of the way, the other 50% are up to you.

As the title states, data transfer weights is what I wanted. I figured it out since the original post. Thanks anyway for anyone with good intentions of helping.

• 7 months later...
On ‎11‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 4:23 PM, imacrabpinch said:

As the title states, data transfer weights is what I wanted. I figured it out since the original post. Thanks anyway for anyone with good intentions of helping.

I would so apreciate if you share the info. I'm driving crazy with the sticky pants :) TY

On 7/11/2019 at 4:48 AM, BeckyNoir said:

I would so apreciate if you share the info. I'm driving crazy with the sticky pants :) TY

Sure. I forget exactly what I was doing with data transfer, but there was a way to change the distance of which it copied the weights, so that the "sticky pants" didn't occur. However, an even better/easier method for me is to use the "convert to bind pose" function in Avastar and then locking the bones in place. I've had pretty good results like this.

Here is the video tutorial that I took information from. It doesn't specifically mention our sticky-pants problem, but I was able to extract the information to apply it to our problem. Hope that helps!

Edited by imacrabpinch

On ‎7‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 4:44 AM, imacrabpinch said:

Sure. I forget exactly what I was doing with data transfer, but there was a way to change the distance of which it copied the weights, so that the "sticky pants" didn't occur. However, an even better/easier method for me is to use the "convert to bind pose" function in Avastar and then locking the bones in place. I've had pretty good results like this.

Here is the video tutorial that I took information from. It doesn't specifically mention our sticky-pants problem, but I was able to extract the information to apply it to our problem. Hope that helps!

Thank you so much!! 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1745 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.