My Second Life Viewer 2.6.5 keeps crashing at the VFS stage. Please help.

GilliamPenheart

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4759 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

My Second Life Viewer updated to the Beta 2.6.5 viewer and then suddenly I've been unable to get passed the Initializing VFS process of the viewer.  I'm at a loss as to what to do and I would appreciate some help.

I'm running a Windows Vista Home Premium on a Toshiba Laptop.

Please help me - I'm at the end of my rope as to what to do.

5 answers to this question

You need to clear your cache manually.

(XP) - C: - Documents and Settings - (USER NAME) - AppData - SecondLife
(Vista) - C: - Users - (USER NAME) - AppData - Local - SecondLife
(Win 7) - C: - Users - (USER NAME) - AppData - Roaming - SecondLife and Local - SecondLife

Delete the contents of the folder and restart your computer.

NOTE: You may need to go to Windows Tools > Folder Options > View & enable Show Hidden Files/Folders, in order to see AppData folder.

After your reboot, change your start location on login to Smith and when you get in just stay there under the water until your inventory has fully reloaded. You can open your inventory and type in the inventory search bar to prompt loading, but do not do anything else until it is done.

I tried what you suggested but it didn't work. I went to C:\Users\USER NAME\AppData\Local\SecondLife and deleted the cache files and other icons in there, restarted my computer, and it still crashed during the VFS phase. So I tried deleting what was found in C:\Users\USER NAME\AppData\Roaming\SecondLife as well, but still the viewer keeps crashing.

Is there any other possible solution or should I try another viewer? I have no idea how to work Phoenix Viewer as I keep putting in my first/last user name in the respective fields and it keeps refusing to log me in (saying I put in the wrong name/password when I know it is indeed correct).

On viewers with 2 boxes for names yours would be: GilliamPenheart Resident.

If you prefer viewer 2, try one of the older updates, it could just be the latest one that isn`t compatible with your system for some reason. You can find older versions on http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Supported_Viewers In your preferences change the setting for automatic downloads of updates or it will keep downloading the latest one for you again.

The Phoenix Viewer still didn't work for me even with the help.

However, your last suggestion helped considerably - I reinstalled an older model after restarting my computer and modem and now everything is running fine. Thanks again for the heads up about the automatic updates - don't want something like that to happen again.

Thanks for all your help.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4759 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.