Need Help With Legitimate Scripting Question

PheebyKatz

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2196 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi, I need help with this. I want to be able to launch objects at anyone who is looking at me. Don't worry, they'll have to be looking directly at me, and possibly with some sort of intent. It will only be used on my own land, and for my own purposes, but it must shoot at people when they look at me. Don't worry, I have no intent of using it for griefing purposes, and the idea has been around for years, so it must be legit. Heck with what anyone else thinks, right?

Anyway, some help with this would be appreciated.

Also, if anyone knows of any other ways of doing similar things, like the ever-practical and ages-old, practically grandfathered-in idea of sticking a black box in front of people's cameras for looking at me, and/or launching swarms of particle poops at people for looking at me, those would be useful as well. Also anything that targets them and won't stop, until finally they leave my sim. I find land tools are not as effective as simply shooting people who look at me on my land.

I have been in SL for a long time and know what I am doing, I just can't seem to make these things do what I want, despite having them set to fire upon anyone who is looking at me. Constructive help only, please.

This is for a project of my own, and what I use it for is my own business. I shall await the help, and thank you all in advance.

with LSL as it is then

1) use a timer to periodically get a list of agents on the parcel/sim
2) loop through the list and get their rotation
3) if any are oriented toward you then shoot them

caveats with this. Is no way to tell when they on a different Z looking up or down at you. So shoot them anyway

other approach

1) Ask everyone who comes to your parcel/sim for camera perms
2) If they decline then kick them home. If they accept perms request then you have perms on their camera. Use that to have them not ever be able to look at you

1 hour ago, ellestones said:

with LSL as it is then

1) use a timer to periodically get a list of agents on the parcel/sim
2) loop through the list and get their rotation
3) if any are oriented toward you then shoot them

caveats with this. Is no way to tell when they on a different Z looking up or down at you. So shoot them anyway

other approach

1) Ask everyone who comes to your parcel/sim for camera perms
2) If they decline then kick them home. If they accept perms request then you have perms on their camera. Use that to have them not ever be able to look at you

OP is just making fun of all the people who had a different view in a previous thread:

1 minute ago, ellestones said:

@Wulfie

yes I saw that

setting aside motive tho, how might it be done is pretty interesting in itself I think

How it might be done has already been figured out in the thread I linked. The original person to ask this question already had working code that would work even for avatars on a different plane. 

7 minutes ago, ellestones said:

if the person is in Mouselook then Yes. When they aren't and are just using the viewer controls to pan amd zoom then No

If they are not in mouselook and are on a different plane, they arent exactly "looking at you" though.

Unless you still wanted to shoot at them, in which case all you'd ever need to check is the avatar's rotation around the Z-axis.

Edit: Oh, i think I get what you mean, but I've said as much to the OP already in yet another thread:

Edited by Wulfie Reanimator

1 minute ago, ellestones said:

@Wulfie i thought the OP question was quite broad. Who is looking at me

I will though accept your knowledge in the specific instance mentioned

Yeah, it's ambiguous, but since the context of OP is a rethreading of a previous thread, I went with the previous context.

You were correct about panning though, plus you'd need a script for every avatar you wanted to have permissions from (so up to 100).

1 minute ago, Wulfie Reanimator said:

plus you'd need a script for every avatar you wanted to have permissions from (so up to 100).

thats true also

i get that OP has made other posts recently as well for what might or might not be the same motive. If there is a technical component to a post then I tend to just address that part, as the technicals can be something that people do wonder about sometimes

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2196 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.