can u create a second avatar

Laidback Batista

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4748 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

5 answers to this question

While possible, it may not be feasible, depending on your computer situation / hardware / connection type.

Second Life is perhaps THE most resource-intensive program installed on my computer. It pales in comparison to programs like Photoshop and 3D modelling programs. Aside from all the 3D graphics that must be rendered, live.. there's the matter of the hundreds of graphical images that must be downloaded, sorted, stored, and displayed.

Generally speaking, if your computer struggles at all to display Second Life, it's going to work twice as hard to display two instances of Second Life. This will manifest itself in slower framerates, and more "lag" (I know that's not a technical term).

If your computer can handle it, or if you have two computers, then yes, you can easily create a second Account for second life, and then log in both accounts. You're going to use twice as much bandwidth, of course.. but let's assume that your connection, and computers are (like mine) able to handle the load.

• Press the green Sign Out link at the top right corner of this website.
  • Then press the green Join Now link.
  • From there, simply create the new account.

For this purpose, I'll assume that you're using Second Life 2.6.2 (225998) (the current version of "Viewer 2"... we really need to stop calling it that).

Go to Me > Preferences And then choose the Advanced tab. Then simply place a checkmark next to [  ] Allow Multiple Viewers then press OK.

At this point, you SHOULD be able to launch another instance of the SL Client program. When it comes up to the login screen, enter the login information for the new account you created.. and then login as normal. Assuming your computer(s) and connection are up to the task, you should now see two views into the world of Second Life.

• Like 2

You only need one viewer, but you will have a separate window for each avvie. On the latest viewer, go to Me > Preferences and to the Advanced tab and check "Allow Multiple Viewers". Click OK and close preferences and you should now be able to open a 2nd window when you already have one running without getting the message you got before.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4748 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.