Simple(!) Bento rigging (Avastar?) newbie question

Vulpinus

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2289 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I want to make an item that will attach its parts to certain places on a bento skeleton; the Water Horse rideable horse. If all the Bento places where available as 'attach to' points in Inventory, that's all I would need but they aren't. My parts only need to be fixed at those locations. The mesh does not need to be 'flexible' if that's the right term. (that said, who knows what I will get up to next...)

Is that something that is reasonably easy to do, either just with Blender, or even Avastar? I'm OK in Blender itself but I've only ever made static mesh. No rigging experience at all and never used Avastar.

I'm not so much asking how to do it, just if it can be done without spending two weeks of full-time learning how for such a seemingly simple task. It's only for something for myself.

I'm not a rigging expert, and I don't use Blender, nor avastar, but skinning elements of a mesh 100 % to single bones, is the most easy task of rigging actually. You probably want to use avastar, and it's abillity to import your very own avatar shape to make sure things line up perfectly in-world.

Edited by arton Rotaru

Hmm... that's what I was hoping, thanks.

I'll need to buy Avastar to do it (might as well stick with at least part of the tool chain I know, Blender), but I'm sure once I get the hang of it I'll do more. It's only the cost of a few good pizzas, lol.

I've applied for the dev kit for the horse, and there are other things I would like to try some simple rigging for too that I have the kits for.

If that's the bento horse attachment, you'll need the devkit only, Avastar isn't really necessary for that specific task... it may be of use though, if you want to work on other stuff too. As Arton was saying, just one vertex group of the bone you want to use as attachment will suffice.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2289 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.