3Dconnexion Space Navigator problem

Korach

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2617 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I am using the most current release of Firestorm Viewer for Mac on a Mac Pro running OSX 10.11.6 and recently installed a 3Dconnexion Space Navigator.

When I plug in the Space Navigator, I can go into Firestorm preferences, enable Joystick, and it works beautifully - all without loading any drivers from 3Dconnexion.

However... in order to use the device in my Architectural CAD software for my "real life" work, I need to load the 3Dconnexion driver (10.4.4, currently the latest & greatest). When this driver is loaded, the device works beautifully with my CAD software but Firestorm Viewer spins wildly out of control and is completely unusable. No sort of calibration or adjustment to either the driver settings or the Firestorm joystick configuration settings has worked.

Uninstalling the driver restores full functionality to Firestorm Viewer but kills it for my Cad software. I tried installing an older version of the driver from 3Dconnexion's Legacy Downloads page, it did not help. Re-installation of the driver just duplicates the issue, and clean re-install of Firestorm did not help. (FWIW, behavior is same with the official SL viewer). Need to use this version of OSX for compatibility purposes with some older work-related software.

Stumped, right now my workaround is to not use it in Firestorm, but would love to get function back. Any helpful advice will be appreciated.

Thanks folks.

1 answer to this question

Well, that is a downer.

All I can think of is driver has pulled in 'default' settings that disagree with the viewer. Loki Eliot added SL as an app to the SN setup and got his working with El Capitan. So, if you haven't, I would try making a SL profile for the SN. 

In the viewer I would push the values for the Dead Zones way up to see if I could get control. Then sort through which axis is over controlling.

See these discussions: https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/BUG-10362? - Closed. Apparently no fix.

http://jira.phoenixviewer.com/browse/FIRE-16286. They go through some experiments but they seem to get it working.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2617 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.