Interested In Finding LSL Discussion Groups

gregwen71

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2599 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello. I'm a returning resident. I've been gone for quite a while, and to be honest, my only reason for returning was an old friend offering a script commission. Over the past week, since this offer arose, I've been thinking, "What would it take for me to actually return to SL, rather than a short stint to complete a script project?"

The answer I came up with is that I would like to be more "involved". But, with what? Programming is sort of my "Happy Place". I can do it for hours and not notice the world pass me by. So, I was hoping that I might have an opportunity to become more involved through discussion groups containing experienced scripters. I don't know, though, if anything like what I"m thinking exists in SL.

Obviously, I realize this forum is here to help others that ask questions, and there are several groups inworld that I can join (also meant to help others with script issues), but I'm looking for something of a higher level, so to speak. In my thoughts, I would imagine a discussion group of adept scripters that engage with Linden Labs regarding LSL and it's issues and upcoming changes. But, it doesn't have to be something so formal... a group that meets regularly to discuss scripting, LSL, projects, etc where there is opportunity to create collaboration is what I'm looking for.

I hope I've explained myself well. If anyone has suggestions for me, it would be much appreciated.

Thank you,
Logan Reigns

Edited by gregwen71

I know you've already considered it but you might try joining some of the in-world scripting groups to see what you make of them, particularly College Of Scripting, Music Science, Scripts or Script Academy (full disclosure: I'm a moderator for Scripts and an owner of Script Academy). 

These are all friendly groups, open to scripters of all levels.  Sometimes people want help with basic stuff, as you suggest,  but quite frequently a question will start a discussion of quite advanced topics.    Certainly I've had some very interesting conversations in them from which I've learned a lot, and I've become quite friendly with several regulars and worked with them on collaborative projects.

I'm a bit mistrustful of groups that say they're restricted to advanced scripters -- all the ones I've tried either seemto be dominated by discussions that had little to do with LSL or to be very little different from any of the more generalist groups.

• Like 1

Thank you for the reply. And yes, I've joined a few groups since posting this.

I don't disagree with your sentiment about groups of "Advanced Level" scripters. I even find it hard to participate in forums where Advanced Scripters seem to stroke each other, or show disdain towards new scripters/programmers, rather than offer something meaningful. I don't explain myself well, so I'm sure some might have misunderstood what I was looking for.  I'm not interested in a closed "Advanced Level" group. I wouldn't fit in, anyway. I just was looking to be more involved in something that I enjoy. Something to give me a reason to stay, so to speak.

-walks off humming Million Reasons by Lady Gaga-

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2599 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.